Bulimia and weight loss

Is your weight causing you emotional problems? Does your self esteem suffer as a result of have concerns about your weight? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
woodallkate

by woodallkate on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Bulimia and weight loss

I have been acutely suffering from bulimia since February, it was brought on by a combination of stress at work, physical symptoms from a car accident, and long term struggles with weight and childhood upbringing. I am struggling at the moment because I am diagnosed obese and am conflicted between losing weight and eating the right number of calories combined with the three meal / three snack thing. What is the best step, I am worried about putting on weight as I am already overweight. My bulimia currently manifests as starvation and bingeing although I haven't binged since Boxing day. I feel so confused and conflicted about what I should do for the eating disorder and what I should do because I am over weight.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

beat Charity

by beat Charity on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Bulimia and weight loss

Hi WoodallKate,

Firstly, I would like to say you are not on your own in this. There is help and support available for people using food to control their emotions. Everybody's situation is individual and it is important you get the right help and support for you. Please call our Helpline on 0845 634 1414 and our staff will be able to talk you through what help is available in your area. Our website has a directory of services available across the UK for people with eating disorders and there are also a list of useful books to read which may help you on your journey. Beat also run online peer support groups and face to face groups which give everybody an opportunity to share their feelings and experiences and share techniques that have helped them on the road to recovery. Take a look at http://www.b-eat.co.uk for more information.
It is important that you have support from family and friends with this and you are not trying to deal with your situation alone. Please remember Beat's vision is simple: eating disorders will be beaten.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Rachel

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm

As Rachel above, help is available. There is the charity approach, your doctor may be able to refer you on through the NHS, and there are private approaches.

As this behaviour is relatively new please seek help as soon as possible, to stop the behaviour strengthening and generalising into different areas.

Even in long term cases it is possible to change, however the quicker you attend to it definitely the better!

Please have a look at my other posts here for simple diet and weight loss advice.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Dr Amritash Rai

by Dr Amritash Rai on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

In addition to the advice above, I would also suggest you visit your GP and request a referral to local mental health services. There seem to be two issues you are dealing with here. The first is your Bulimia (which may put you at physical risk, particularly if you making your self sick after a binge), I would suggest seeking advice about services in your area. The second are the underlying problems that you feel are contributing to your eating. An assessment with a local mental health professional may be able to help you plan the best way to tackle these issues (including your eating problems). For example, if you have symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, specific treatments are available (such as Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - CBT or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing - EMDR). Other issues may require longer term work (such as psychotherapy).

Hope this helps.

Amritash
Dr Amritash Rai
Consultant Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... sh_rai.php

4 posts