allergy or rosacea?

If you have any questions that do not fit into the categories below please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
julia_labutina

by julia_labutina on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm

allergy or rosacea?

Dear Pharmacist, could you please make me clear - how can I tell a rosacea from an allergy? Thank you!

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 am

Re: allergy or rosacea?

Dear julia_labutina,

Thank you. Rosacea is a common condition when the face is inflamed. Patients may have spots on the central face or just permanent or transient redness of the face/flushing. The face is usually very sensitive and may feel hot and sore.

In contrast food allergies (urticaria caused by foods) usually affect all body rather than face and nettle like rashes are also transient, affecting a particular part of body for hours rather than days (nettle like rashes move from one area of body to another within hours). Urticaria may also be spontaneous ie without an obvious cause. Urticaria is usually itchy but may also feel sore.

Dermatitis (eczema) may be internal, so called atopic, or external- caused by allergy to a particular chemical(s) (e.g. fragrances, nickel, preservatives, hair dyes), the latter is called allergic contact dermatitis. Dermatitis is a longer lasting condition, affecting the same area of skin for days and weeks, and is typically itchy.

Inflammatory rosacea (with spots) requires prolonged treatments with topical and/or oral antibiotics. Flushing rosacea may be triggered by lots of factors including spicy food, hot food and drinks, alcohol, caffein, sun light and so on. Until last year we did not have any treatment but now we have Mirvaso gel which is very effective to treat red face /flushing rosacea.

Dermatitis should be treated with frequent applications of emollients/moisturises (ointments are better than creams and lotions) and sometimes steroid creams/ointments or steroid substitute creams. Dermatitis affecting preferentially face should raise a question of allergy testing (so called patch test). If dermatitis is not controlled by emollients see you family doctor or a Consultant Dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful.
with best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MRCP (UK), CCT (Dermat), PhD, FRSM, FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist, University, Nuffield and Spire Hospitals of Leicester

for more information on skin conditions and treatments see www.alexandroff.org.uk

twitter: @your_skin_dr

blog: http://privatehealthnews.co.uk/category ... rmatology/
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

julia_labutina

by julia_labutina on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 am

Re: allergy or rosacea?

Good morning, doctor. Thank you for so detailed answer.
I've got more questions. My face redness is not symmetric - right cheak is more red then left. Does this fact tell something in diagnostics?
Thanks a lot )

3 posts