Non-IgE allergies or ?

If you have any questions about children with allergies to certain foods then please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
louisabone

by louisabone on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Non-IgE allergies or ?

Good evening, my question is as to whether I should look at pushing for further investigation for my daughter, I feel slightly fobbed off by my local hospital and have considered taking her private but its money we don't really have so would love to know if there is anything other then non-IgE allergies it could be so I could make the decision on taking her private

My daughter age 4 has Non-IgE allergies to Dairy, Gluten, Egg protein, Soya Protein and all Salicylates.
She reacts to things differently, Egg and Soya protein both cause itching, reflux and gastro pain and loose BM.
Gluten causes severe negative behaviour change, itching, gastro pain with distention and loose BM with small amounts of red blood
Diary and Salicylates cause wheezing, swelling (normally eyes), sleep apnea, hives or burn like patches, gastro pain and distention and loose BM with a large amount of red blood present, the first time she had this as a reaction to an aniseed flavoured medicine there was more blood then poo and the Dr remarked that he could smell the blood through the 3 nappy sacks it was wrapped in...

Gluten, Dairy and Salicylates she reacts by touch (with no gastro symptoms)

With all her reactions she also reacts with leg pain in the night

We have had a reaction where her lips swelled and she had hives in her mouth and she began coughing as if clearing her throat, this stopped after 15 minutes of giving piriton and repeated the following day but never again we still have no idea of the cause

She has had multiple SPT and all negative.

Our hospital has always been a bit vague on things her Dairy allergy was diagnosed at 10weeks based on symptoms and primarily hives all over her face, she also became faliure to thrive.

On weaning we found she had issues with the other foods mentioned she originally couldn't handle any egg at all

We were told she would outgrow at 12mths, when she didn't we were told she would outgrow at 3 and when she hit 3 I asked if it could be something else and not allergies and were told well she will outgrow at 5 and if not then they will think about investigating...

She had a gluten trial in the hospital which was a fail and now they have said she won't outgrow gluten
They offered coeliacs testing but I refused because the 6 weeks of gluten is very unfair on her

I don't know if it's wishful thinking that it might be something else gut related which might be treatable as it would then give her more of a normal life, at the moment everything is risk assessed.

I thank you for reading this

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Re: Non-IgE allergies or ?

Good evening.

It is possible that your daughter does have delayed gastrointestinal food allergies. Often delayed gastrointestinal food allergies have negative skin prick tests. This can be assessed and managed by any paediatric allergy service and there are several medical treatments available. We usually assess patients and if they are still symptomatic despite dietary exclusions and medical treatments then we liaise with gastroenterologists and children then undergo an endoscopy (camera test into the bowel) to see what is going on and take biopsies to look under the microscope.

There also sounds like an episode of immediate (IgE mediated) food allergy which should be further evaluated.

An alternative test for coeliac disease if the child is unable to go back onto gluten is the genetic test for human leukocyte antigen (HLA) DQ2/DQ8. If this is negative then the chances of your daughter having coeliac disease is very low. However if this is positive it does not mean that the child has coeliac disease, only they are at increased risk of developing this. However, this should not be used as the first-line test for coeliac disease, only if gluten cannot be reintroduced.

Kind regards,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts