How to introduce nuts safely to a childs diet?

If you have a nut allergy or are concerned about the risks associated with nut allergies, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
krisskross

by krisskross on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:06 pm

How to introduce nuts safely to a childs diet?

hello

My children aged 5 and 7 both have mild asthma.

I have always avoided giving them nuts because of this and because we have a family history of allergies (though not to nuts).

They have however always eaten things that 'may contain traces of nuts' and have always been okay.

Is there a safe way to introduce nuts?

Thank you.

Ruth Chalmers

by Ruth Chalmers on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Re: How to introduce nuts safely to a childs diet?

Dear Krisskross,

If both your children have never had nuts but either you or their Dad have nut allergy you can introduce at nuts at home.

The key things are making sure that the asthma is well controlled and that they have no intercurrent illness as this can make you more likely to react. Also, avoid doing it on a day where they might do a lot or exercise or something unusual like go to a birthday party.

Ideally do it on the weekend, when there is more than one adult present. Choose a single nut e.g. peanut. I would buy these roasted in their shells or as peanut butter. Start with a small dose, for example 1/2 a peanut or a tip of a teaspoon of peanut butter and then gradually increase the quantities you offer until a normal portion is achieved over a few days.

Hope this help,

Ruth
Ruth Chalmers
Paediatric Allergy Dietitian
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... almers.php

2 posts