Clomid treatment and ovarian cancer

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Clomid treatment and ovarian cancer

My first name is Pam. I'm 37 years old and 25 weeks pregnant with our second child, we have a two and a half year old boy. Due to my PCOS, both pregnancies were conceived on low dose clomid and I've had 9 cycles of clomid in total. For the second pregnancy I had to pay for private treatment as the NHS guidelines have recently changed to 6 cycles of clomid in your lifetime. My question is how high the risk is to me of contracting ovarian cancer given the number of clomid cycles I have had and if there is anything I can do to mitigate the risk? Would yearly scans of my ovaries be a worthwhile precaution? I breast fed our son for 10 months and intend to do the same for our second child, will this help at all to reduce the risk? I'm fit and healthy otherwise with a normal BMI.

I would really appreciate your advice, I was aware I was taking a risk continuing with clomid treatment of an increased possibility of getting ovarian cancer but my husband and I were keen to avoid IVF in the knowledge that clomid had worked for us before and to avoid the stress to our family life.

Many thanks in advance

Pam
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Infertility Network UK

by Infertility Network UK on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: Clomid treatment and ovarian cancer

Hi Pam. The manufacturers of Clomid and more importantly the CSM (Committee on Safety of Medicines) recommend that the drug should not be used for longer than 6 months because of the possible risk of increased ovarian cancer. However, your GP/consultant is the best person to advise you further on this, and to discuss whether regular blood tests or scans would be appropriate to keep a check on your ovaries. Meanwhile, I wish you well with your ongoing pregnancy and birth. Diane
Infertility Network UK
Charity Registration No. 1099960
For more information visit http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

2 posts