Heavy periods, fibroids and fertility

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
31female

by 31female on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Heavy periods, fibroids and fertility

I am a 31 year old female who suffers from very heavy periods (think soaking through a maxi pad and tampon in under an hour during the worst times).

In 2010 I had fibroids removed from my uterus via a D&C operation. This was successful in mitigating the bleeding to a heavy, but much more manageable level, however I was informed the problem would probably come back. Around 12 months ago I identified that my periods were getting very heavy again and I went to the doctor requesting a referral to gynaecology. A scan revealed an enlarged uterus with several submucosal and intramural fibroids so I am now waiting for an appointment with the consultant (moving house has not helped the waiting list situation!) in the mean time I get some relief from tranexamic acid, however I find that once I stop taking it after the recommended 4 days my periods just last longer but at least they are not quite as heavy for the first few days.

My question, after that long pre-amble, is that we have been trying unsuccessfully for children for a year or so now and I would like to know what effects this will have on my fertility. My biological clock is ticking and I am aware that both treatment or non treatment are going to have an impact and I would like to make an informed decision on the best way forward. For reference my largest fibroid measured 10cm x 9cm x 8cm in October and I have not been on the pill since ~2006 as that used to mess up my periods as well.

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Re: Heavy periods, fibroids and fertility

I'd advise a myomectomy.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts