Hot Flushes

If you have questions about any aspects of the menopause or perimenopause, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Hot Flushes

I have had hot flushes now for 13 years . How unusual is this? I won't take HRT (probably too old for it anyway now) and have tried every natural herbal solution on the market I think!! With the hot flushes can 2 hour sleep stints. I do sleep soundly for those 2 hours and I do get straight back to sleep after I wake every 2 hours when I am fully awake as well. Sometimes , but not always, I have a hot flush and/or need to urinate.

Heather Currie

by Heather Currie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:27 am

Re: Hot Flushes

Recent research has shown that menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes, can indeed continue for many years. There is no way of predicting when they will stop. If you do not want to take HRT, then there are non hormonal medications which can be prescribed by your GP. It is also worth discussing what your concerns are about HRT since, although there has been much publicity around risks of HRT, these risks are often exaggerated and for many women, the benefits outweigh the risks. Starting after a number of years after the menopause needs some care about the type and dose, but can be considered.
I hope this is helpful.
Best wishes
Dr Heather Currie
MD Menopause Matters Ltd www.menopausematters.co.uk
Chair Elect British Menopause Society www.thebms.org.uk

Heather Currie

by Heather Currie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 am

Re: Hot Flushes

PS (!) it is worth checking if there are any diet or lifestyle factors which may be contributing to the symptoms--not smoking, cutting down caffeine and alcohol and taking a healthy diet, particularly cutting down carbohydrates, can help.

3 posts