Chlamydia/PID/Infertility

If you have any questions about conception, fertility or pregnancy, please post your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Happyme35

by Happyme35 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:36 am

Chlamydia/PID/Infertility

Good morning,

When I was 29 I found out I had chlamydia (I am now 34 nearly 35), as I had always been careful so I dont know who I got it from - the doctors at the hospital at the time were lovely and said that you can get it even when using protection. I was treated and as far as I know I have had no complications to suggest PID occurred or damage to my tubes.

However we have now started trying for a baby (over 18 months ago) and no luck. I have regular periods and believe I am ovulating. I am overweight and have to lose 1 stone before IVF would be a option - I am also a self confessed stress head. We have had all the tests (FSH) and i'm fine (possible ovulate a few days 'late' as on a scan something wasn't quite large enough (cant remember what) and now I am booked onto a weighting list for a lap op.

Obviously we will get answers about tubes then however what are the chances of damage tubes without PID? or PID lying dormant for 5 years+? Can chlamydia cause damage without PID?

I have really stressed over this and worried about what a lap operation will find!

Thank you for your time and help. Kerry.

Infertility Network UK

by Infertility Network UK on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 am

Re: Chlamydia/PID/Infertility

Hi Kerry. As you will already know, chlamydia is the most common of all sexually transmitted diseases, but thankfully you were treated without delay, to lessen the chances of damage to the Fallopian tubes – one of the commonest problems following this infection. I can fully understand that this is a stressful time for you, but you have got your investigations under way, and soon you should know the results of your laparoscopy. They will almost certainly check your tubes as well alongside this procedure, so that you will then have an overall “picture” of your fertility status, and a diagnosis made. Chlamydia can be responsible for blocking the tubes even without experiencing PID, however, your consultant will then discuss all his/her findings with you and then a decision can be made as to your best options for treatment. I wish you well with all of this and with whatever treatment you are to have. Diane
Infertility Network UK
Charity Registration No. 1099960
For more information visit http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

3 posts