Can BV come back during my pregnancy?

If you have any questions about conception, fertility or pregnancy, please post your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Can BV come back during my pregnancy?

I am 7 weeks pregnant. Before I got pregnant I had BV and now I worry it may come back during my pregnancy. I know that BV during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage and even if the infection is treated the risk doesn't decrease. In the past I had a course of oral Metronidazole (400mg twice a day for 7 days) but symptoms came back during my next period so I don't see much point in taking it again. Since then I've been using Balance Active gel as soon as I noticed the unpleasant smell. Is using Balance Active thoughout the whole pregnancy going to keep the infection at bay so that the miscarriage risk is not increased? Or should I not bother with it? Is there any other way of reducing the risk of reoccurence of BV during pregnancy (apart from wiping front to back,avoiding bubble baths, soaps, syntetic clothes etc)?

Thanks
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Infertility Network UK

by Infertility Network UK on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Can BV come back during my pregnancy?

Hi. First of all congratulations on becoming pregnant, and I wish you well with your ongoing pregnancy. As you have suffered with BV before, you will remember the symptoms, should it occur again. I’m afraid I cannot comment on any preventative treatment to use, so perhaps you need to talk this over with your GP before trying anything. As you have had it before, and already know, just carry on being sensible by using pH-neutral unscented soap when washing “down below” and avoid scented sprays. Also, smoking has been known to increase the risk of BV, so try and quit if you do smoke. Should you notice any “smelly” discharge, then again see your GP as he/she will probably want you to have a swab taken so as to confirm a diagnosis and appropriate treatment offered if necessary. BV can sometimes cause complications with pregnancy, as you say, so if diagnosed, the sooner it is treated the better – usually with antibiotics. Diane
Infertility Network UK
Charity Registration No. 1099960
For more information visit http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

3 posts