Unpredictable periods

If you have questions relating to any aspect of menstruation, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Unpredictable periods

Hi,
I'm 37 and my periods have been a bit unpredictable over the last few years. They were became very heavy with three very heavy days and two heavy days. I was then found to be hypothyroid and put on eltroxin. My periods got lighter with two days heavy bleeding and one light.
They used to occur every four weeks. Now I have a period every three weeks with 1-2 heavy days then
next to nothing.
Some months I have virtually no pain then others I am bent over with pain.
This month was very bad with a feeling of a cyst on my right side with nausea a week before my period.I then have one day where I feel really good,I have arthritis and that feels better then it goes back to the usual.
I had to pee a lot and my GP took a urine sample and there was blood, protein and ketones in it.
I was put on an antibiotics.I still had that feeling of a cyst that needs to burst. I get this on and off and once it feels like it bursts I feel irritation but then the pain improves.It takes days for my period to start with light spotting before it kicks in.
I have had several ultrasounds but they come back normal so my GP says they can do nothing.
What is going on?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Re: Unpredictable periods

Often your cycle changes as you get older. As long as there is no bleeding between perioda or after intercourse I wouldn't worry. The pain may be due to ovulation and the way to deal with that is to suppress it hormonally i.e. the pill. The urine issue is unrelated.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts