cervical stenosis

Ask our experts all your questions about smear tests, abnormal smears, cervical cancer etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
redmaggie

by redmaggie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:03 am

cervical stenosis

I am 57 years old, fit and well, I'm not taking HRT. I have a question about smear tests.
I had a Manchester repair in 1988 following my first birth, followed by enterocele, rectocele and cystocele repairs in 2013. After that last op, my gynecologist was unable to find the cervical opening as it had completely disappeared under scar tissue. I am a DES daughter, so believe I may have a slighter greater chance of cancer.
My question is, what can be done about cervical screening? Also, since scarring has sealed things up (as it were!) it seems unlikely that I would get the warning sign of bleeding women are told to look out for.
My last smear test was done (with a struggle) in 2012.
Your advice will be appreciated.
NB The last surgery was done in Hong Kong, when I was an expat; I have not seen a Gyne here in UK since I returned last year.

Thank you!

Heather Currie

by Heather Currie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 am

Re: cervical stenosis

The use of vaginal estrogen can assist the smear taking process. Also, a small brush can be used even if the cervical opening is tiny. If the smear cannot be taken at your GP practice, then you may be best to be referred to gynaecology.
Best wishes
Dr Heather Currie
MD Menopause Matters Ltd www.menopausematters.co.uk
Chair Elect British Menopause Society www.thebms.org.uk

3 posts