ACNE

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

2 posts
bmcnally

by bmcnally on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:18 pm

ACNE

Hello!
My name is Bethany and I'm 24 years old..I have suffered with acne for the past 12 years..I could cope a little when I was a teenager as I gathered things would get better when I got into my twenties...how wrong was I! I have now developed nodular acne...big, red, sore, and itchy!! I feel like I could cope a little if my skin wasn't so itchy! May I add I also look horrific! I'm not going to lie there is times when I think what's the point..not sure if I can go on like this!! I mean it's not normal for a 24 year old to dread parties..in fact I'm already panicking about my works Christmas do as I no I will look horrible and want to go home! And I can't remember the last time I said to my fella lets go out for something to eat! I have tried everything -
-skin peels
-laser treatment
-antibiotics (all of them)
-roacutane
-herbal remedies
-changed my diet
-had my bloods tested and my hormones tested ( nothing wrong )
I'm currently on dinette which calms my skin down a little...I have also came across a supposedly miracle cream called silver serum..yet no luck..how can it work for everyone else and not me!! I'm also saving up for the Obagi system..not sure if anyone has heard of this? That's my last hope then I give up!! I'm at my wits end...I'm losing the plot...I feel like screaming..In fact everyday this week I have ran to my room and just cried!! Washing my face is amazing as it's the only relief from the itchiness! No one I no suffers with it which makes it much harder! I hate it when people say it doesn't look that bad...oh dear lord give me strength..just tell me the truth...that aggravates me so much! I'm like two different people happy, bubbly, chatty, fun Beth when my skin is clear! And quite with no self esteem Beth when my skin is bad! I'm not going to lie my skin has been worse then this...but when you have suffered for over 12 years..and are probably known as the spotty one..it takes it out of you! I don't want to be the one with acne anymore! Talking about it makes me feel better, although I can't exactly talk about it all day!! I just want to be me again!

Any advice would be much appreciated..although I feel like I'm an acne expert myself!

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: ACNE

Hi Bethany,

Thank you for posting your experience, I am very sorry to hear how much your acne has impacted on you. You have obviously tried numerous treatments and it is clear that your condition is affecting your quality of life.

Your quality of life is important and therefore I am going to advise you make an appointment with your GP as soon as possible not just to discuss other treatments but also to discuss how you are feeling. I understand your frustration at trying a number of different treatments without success and I think it is important that you are appropriately supported through this difficult time.

I know you feel like an acne expert from your experience but I also wondered if you would be interested in talking to others who are experiencing a similar condition? The British Skin Foundation have a community forum for people to share experiences and since you have stated you feel better when you talk about it, I think this may be helpful for you. You can access the community from the attached link http://www.britishskinfoundation.org.uk/Community.aspx

80% of cases of adult acne occur in women, with periods, pregnancy and polycystic ovary syndrome being primary causes / triggers. I know you have had some relief from dianette but have you been assessed for polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?

With regards to the itchiness of your skin, this may be due to dryness, in which case an emollient preparation may be used (I often recommend keeping these in the fridge for a cooling effect) or perhaps an anti-histamine tablet which may also be of benefit.

Bethany I hope that talking with your GP and the support community will help support you through your acne experience. If you do have any further questions please do get in touch again.

Wishing you all the best,

Take care,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts