Acne

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

3 posts
Steve123

by Steve123 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27 am

Acne

Hello I am a 16years old boy that faces acne problems. About a month ago i visited a dermatologist and prescribed me a gel of benzoyl peroxide(5%) and erythromycin(3%). In the first week of using this gel my skin didnt show any side effects but in the next week i think i ve made a mistake and increased the dosage using.My skin started to face the side effects of itching, flaking a bit burning and drying skin. Now that i am using this gel for 4 weeks these side effects seem not to be bothering me there is no itching and burning to my skin now just some flaking and drying skin should i keep using this gel?

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Acne

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your question.

I would like to reassure you that what you have been experiencing is a normal reaction to the benzoyl peroxide. This ingredient has an antibacterial, anti inflammatory and anticomedogenic (antiblackhead) action. Erythromycin is an antibiotic.

When someone uses one of these products for the first time they usually experience reddening and soreness of the skin. This is common and should reduce after a week or two.
Stinging, drying and peeling of the skin are likely with benzoyl peroxide products. These common side effects will pass after you complete treatment.

If this does start to bother you, I would suggest returning to your prescriber. You are ok to continue with the product however.

You mention you have increased the dosage? Please remember to only use the product as prescribed and indicated on the label. Using it too frequently will increase the skin irritation. Also, use this product sparingly as too much can also cause irritation. It should be applied 20 minutes after washing to all of the parts of your face affected by acne.

These products do take up to a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks to improve your acne so please bear this in mind. If you would like more information, please contact us again or visit your local Pharmacist. Alternatively NHS choices has some useful information regarding acne including important self care advice - simple things you can try at home.

Kind regards

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

ammykaye

by ammykaye on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Acne

Hey, I am sorry to hear about your condition. I think you should discuss this matter with your dermatologist. What i can suggest you is to take care of yourself, drink a lot of water, do work out, dont eat oily food, use clean towels and change your pillow covers once or twice a week.There's so much bacteria on them you really should to prevent new acne. So I tried these disposable pillows covers from this website kovrdpillowslips.com These ones are actually disposable so super easy! They also have product in them that improves the condition of your skin whilst you sleep. So along with medication proper care is also important. Take care.

3 posts