Acne and dry skin

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy

2 posts
x_jess_x

by x_jess_x on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Acne and dry skin

Hi I'm Jess,
I'm 13 years old and suffer from acne and dry skin. Most people say 'it's because your a teenager' I understand that but I'm getting fed up with it.I've had it from quite a young age I have tried many different products and routines and nothing seems to be working. Everyday and night I make sure my face is washed and moisturised but I still get really bad acne and dry skin. I want to put a stop to it and have nice clear skin. I always feel like I'm the only one as all of my friends don't have spots or dry skin and don't suffer, where as I do and I am jealous as I feel like the only one. So I want to do something about it and put a stop to my dry skin and acne pron skin.That's why I wanted to ask if you knew any products that would help with my skin and get rid of my dry and acne pron skin without many side effects.

I hope you can help me.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:33 pm

Re: Acne and dry skin

Hi Jess,

I completely understand where you are coming from and hope that I can help you.

Acne is very common in female teenagers as you say, but I appreciate that doesn't solve your problem. What type of products have you been using? Have you been using any over the counter products from the pharmacy, such as those containing benzoyl peroxide? Why not visit your local Pharmacist who can have a private discussion with you and help you find the most suitable product for your skin type?

Often the products do take up to 3 months to have noticeable effects. They can also dry your skin, which is why you might be experiencing this problem. I would always recommend a fragrance-free, water-based emollient. This will help keep your skin moisturised without feeling greasy or irritated.

If you like to wear make up, try to avoid using too much. Use water-based products that are described on the packaging as 'non-comedogenic' and completely remove it before going to bed.

If your acne is making you feel very unhappy or you cannot control your spots with over the counter medication and the advice offered here, I would recommend you make an appointment to see your GP.

I hope this helps Jess; let me know how you get on!

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts