Long Term Throat/Respiratory Problems

If you have any questions on respiratory health, other than those listed below, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
rlwalkerx

by rlwalkerx on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Long Term Throat/Respiratory Problems

I have been with ENT at my hospital for over a year now, following what started as some bad infection, and ended up having 2 lots of surgery for polyps removal and part of my nose bone removed to drain serious infection which was unable to drain.
The symptoms of my illness were continual nose congestion, pain in my ears (with the left ear starting and continuing to be an issue where I can hear my own heartbeat) and the worst sore throat, all of which were inflammed and very red/sore. On top of this I had the worst headaches, which showed just white matter brain lesions in my MRI and I was told to stop taking pain relief as it may be inducing the pain.

However, after my last surgery which was in November 2014 I am still having MAJOR throat issues, to the point where I am now unable to get up my stairs without my breathing being impaired. I am having to sit and breath after almost every moment of a few steps or more. I have been to my GP but they say I am showing no signs of infection so to just continue with the antibiotics the ENT department gave me in March (500mg 1 a day for first 3 days and then 1 per week for 11 weeks).

I am asthmatic but this does not feel like asthma at all and the pumps make no difference at all. I feel permanently like I have some kind of inflammation or am swollen down the throat itself rather than at the back of my mouth, and I can feel something which I can only describe as a hole because it just feels empty! I am worried about going back to my GP as they appear to be a little fed-up and just want me to stick with ENT as 'it is out of their hands' but I am not being seen again for another 4 weeks and my breathing just cannot be like this because it is really causing a huge problem for me.

Thank you.

Vicky Barber

by Vicky Barber on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 am

Re: Long Term Throat/Respiratory Problems

Hello

Thank you for your post, you mention that you have asthma, and we know that ENT and gastric symptoms can cause a general worsening in asthma control.

However to be able to attempt to help you, I would need to ask you further questions, to try and build up a picture of what is causing the breathlessness.

If you would like to contact the British Lung Foundation and arrange to speak to a nurse, this can be arranged on 03000 030 555

Best wishes

Vicky
Vicky Barber
Nurse Manager- British Lung Foundation
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... barber.php

2 posts