Persistent Coughing

If you have any questions on respiratory health, other than those listed below, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Harrison1

by Harrison1 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Persistent Coughing

When I get chest infections I constantly cough and it so annoying. I do not bring up much phlegm and if I do it is clear. I was given antibiotics for the chest infection but weeks after I still cough but not as bad and I have to go to toilet often as when I cough, I could have a slight accident and have to wear sanitary pads. If talking on the phone as part of my job is answering phone calls, I have a coughing fit. I wish I did not catch chest infections they make me I'll for what seems like ages, not a nice experience!!

I need to know if there is any underlying factors that could be causing me to have this cough please as it is so annoying. I am still have a cough but not so bad now but as part of my job is on the phone, it is annoying that I cough sometimes when I am on the phone. I need to know how to stop getting coughs please

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Persistent Coughing

Hello, I am sorry to hear that you are having such bad coughs!

It would be important to make sure there is no underlying lung problem like asthma or COPD. If you smoke or work in a dusty area then this would need to be thought about.

Do you suffer from any allergies or do you have any acid coming up from your stomach? These things can make coughs worse.

Are you taking any medication? Some tablets can cause coughs.

Some people tend to be more prone to cough and cold bugs, while some are more prone to the tummy bugs, we are all made differently!

We would suggest a healthy lifestyle and diet, good exercise and keeping a healthy weight as this can keep your lungs in top condition.

If you have any other chronic illnesses, then you would qualify from the flu jab, which can also be a preventer.

I hope this helps, Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

2 posts