Trachea

If you have any questions on respiratory health, other than those listed below, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 pm

Trachea

Hi can you tell me please is there any exsiting disease in the world that can make a hole in the trachea please and if ever a hole is found in the trachea via injury to it does it have to be reported and could you tell me is the best outcome for surgery when the hole is found . It's best to be repaired in the first 24 hours of this finding

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Trachea

Hello, can you give me a bit more information as to why you are worried about this and what problem you are having? A hole in the trachea would be a very serious condition. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Thankyou
Last edited by unbelivable 5 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your son. Tracheomalacia means that the walls of the trachea are not supported and strengthened by the normal cartilage and this can make it much more prone to injury and perforation. I am not aware of any conditions that actually make holes in the trachea. Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your son. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Thankyou so much for your support do you know what organisation this type of injury would be reported 2 in 2005 there was a health alert about injurys that possibly were made via intubation do you know what organisation in the nhs service that would be

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:48 pm

I was wondering does oesophageal atresia and tracheo-esophagal fistula consist of holes either please

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Hello, I am unable to advise you on reporting, but each hospital has their own team that looks into concerns you may have.

A fistula is a passage between two areas that shouldn't be there. So you can have a fistula between the oesophagus and the trachea.

I hope this helps, Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley

7 posts