Bad/Prolonged Cold Virus Symptoms

If you have any questions on respiratory health, other than those listed below, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Vicky Barber

by Vicky Barber on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 am

Re: Bad/Prolonged Cold Virus Symptoms

Good morning,

Thank you for your post, clearly there are a lot of issues to explore here.

Why are you getting colds so frequently, has this been investigated? Is your general health good, or are you taking any medication which would suppress your immune system.

Is your diet good, are you feeding your body well, doing some exercise you enjoy and managing your stress.

If your ongoing symptoms are causing so much distress, then you would be advised to discuss an ENT review with your own Doctor.

Best wishes

Vicky
Vicky Barber
Nurse Manager- British Lung Foundation
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... barber.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am

Hello, as I have said in a previous post, different poeple seem to react to different illnesses in dffferent ways. Your weakness seems to be the respiratory viruses!

They are horrible viruses, which are always evolving and changing, making it very difficult for us to make effective treatments for them. After they have finished giving you the cold symptoms, the viruses can leave a nasty inflammation in the nasal passages which, as you have found out, can linger and last and cause all the 'dripping' that you describe.

As you have also found out, there is not a lot you can do, very annoying!

Sometimes, a simple anti-inflamatory such as Ibuprofen or naproxen can help reduce the inflammation and stop the congestion. Other than that, the nasal spray can also help.

If it helps at all, some people 'grow out' of this susceptibility to prolonged symptoms, I hope you do soon!

I hope this helps, Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am

It would be a good idea to have the doctor check your immunity my son has a low immune system and has same problems catches anything going Hes on azithrimiycin for life now. IGA deficiency. Worth a try an get tested for house allergies etc all these triggers can cause those symptoms

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:04 am

Oh and I forgot to say under the stress your going threw will most definately make your bowel problem worse I have ibs and if I'm stressed out my symptoms are far worse wish you all the very best from me

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:11 am

Hi, thank you for that and you are right, allergies can cause a lot of similar symptoms to coughs and colds and viruses. An easy way to see if it is allergic is to use an anti-histamine from the chemist and see if that settles it at all.

Azithomycin is an antibiotic which would work against bacteria, but not against viruses or allergies.
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

unbelivable 5

by unbelivable 5 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am

Thankyou doctor your very helpful and a credit your very helpful to everyone a great pleasure

7 posts