Asthma and stress

If you have any questions relating to asthma, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
talesinb

by talesinb on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:56 pm

Asthma and stress

Is there any information that can be found about a link with stress and Asthma. I find mine gets much worse when I am stressed but it does not come up as a trigger in any medical information I have found. My symptoms worsened over January and February but have improved since I went off work with stress (I have been away from the stress zone for nine weeks) but my GP has already referred me back to Respiratory to be reviewed (again). I am reluctant to turn up for yet another assessment as it means another x-ray, and a discussion of my medication again when I have been through everything that is on offer over the last 25 years. The combination I am on now (budesonide/formoterol and terbutaline sulphate seems to be mostly effective and I am reluctant to change it but I have come up on the 'you are using too much of the terbutaline' list which is the reason for the referral. It is over a year since I had to go to hospital or get nebulised which is a record for me so the medication must be mostly working. I think it is just because I have had a ridiculously stressful year and I am now wasting NHS money for a non essential appointment which could be used for someone worse than me. I strongly believe in taking my drugs as prescribed and also self help so any information sources would be gratefully received.

Vicky Barber

by Vicky Barber on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:38 am

Re: Asthma and stress

Hi talesinb

Thank you for you post. It is well known that stress adversely affects asthma and I am sure that if you check Asthma Uks website that you will find information.

I would recommend yoga as it will relax you and help manage the stress you are under, whilst at the same time teaching you breathing control exercises.

As for your review I would urge you to keep it, you say that your asthma is much better when you are away from work, is there an occupational component to your asthma that hasn't been considered before?

Best wishes

Vicky
Vicky Barber
Nurse Manager- British Lung Foundation
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... barber.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 am

Re: Asthma and stress

Hello, it sounds like you know your asthma very well and I agree with you and Vicky, that asthma can be triggered by stress. Anything that releases adrenaline (like stress) can make this kind of thing worse.

If you are mostly well on your current regime then you are right that the hospital probably won't change much. Perhaps discuss with your GP whether you really need this appointment?

What strength budesonide/formoterol inhaler are you on - is there scope to increase this if you are using a bit too much terbutaline?

Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

3 posts