what should I change

If you have any questions on anxiety, including generalised anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder or phobias, please post them here. (Currently open for pre-clinic questions. These will be answered by Experts from 15 to 21 October 2014).

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: what should I change

Are there particular aspects of your job that make you anxious? For example is your work load excessive? List any issues that are causing you anxiety, identify possible solutions - then speak to your employer.

Or it could be that your lifestyle and mindset are contributing to your anxiety levels.

First of all check your diet. Are you eating well? Low blood sugar is linked to anxiety and mood swings, so make sure your diet is based on low glycaemic index (GI) foods that help to keep your blood sugar steady. These include proteins such as fish, eggs, poultry, meat, nuts and dairy foods, and unrefined carbohydrates such as brown rice, whole wheat pasta (cooked al dente) granary bread, porridge, fresh fruit and vegetables. Avoid refined sugars and refined carbs such as biscuits, sweets, cakes and white bread. Eating a wholesome diet will also provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need for a healthy nervous system such as the B vitamins, vitamin D, calcium and magnesium.

Watch your caffeine intake too. Too much boosts adrenaline levels, which can lead to anxiety and jitteriness. Limit your intake to 300mg a day. A cup of tea or instant coffee contains around 55mg, depending on the strength. 50g of milk chocolate contains 25mg, while 50g of dark chocolate contains 50mg. Avoid caffeine after 6pm, as it can prevent you dropping off to sleep and a lack of sleep could make you more anxious.

Are you taking regular exercise? It reduces anxiety by using up the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol and encourages your body to release tranquilising endorphins and the 'happy hormone' serotonin.

Finally, check your thought patterns. If you tend to have negative thoughts about yourself and your ability to do your job try to replace them with more positive ones. Make a list of your achievements and everything you do well, both at work and at home, to boost your self-esteem and remind you that you are a capable human being who can cope with challenges. If you feel you don't achieve enough at work look for evidence that disputes this, such as being up-to-date with paperwork, meeting deadlines etc.

Finally, remind yourself that most worries don't materialise, so don't waste your time worrying about things that might never happen; Mark Twain hit the nail on the head when he said:' I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.'

I hope this helps :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Janine Ward

by Janine Ward on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: what should I change

Have you tried keeping a mood diary to work out when you are feeling anxious and the kind of triggers that cause you to feel it?
This could be helpful in understanding what it is that you need to change and could also help you to understand some of the areas that you need to change suggested by Wendy.
There are some mood diaries available online- try fiveareasresources.com for a mobile app called 10 things that can make you happier or simply keep a paper diary. Rating your mood from 0-10 0 being not anxious/ calm and 10 being as anxious as you have ever felt. Sometimes making a brief description of the rating meanings is helpful to know what symptoms are involved when you feel calm or anxious. Try thinking about the situation in which you felt anxious and record what you were doing, where you were at, and who you are with. This will give you a better understanding of the situations in which you feel anxious and changes you could make.
In addition record your main thoughts as Wendy suggested, what was going through your mind, was it a negative thought or an image, how did it make you feel. This will help you to identify any negative unhelpful thinking.
Finally record what you did, how did you respond to the situation, how did that make you feel.
This should give you a clearer understanding of what is causing your anxieties and what might be happening to keep them going. I've put an example below:

,Mood: 8 feeling very anxious
What: in meeting at work asked to speak about a project I was working on
When: in meeting at 9am monthly staff meeting
With whom: colleagues and managers
Where: large meeting room

What I thought: I haven't prepared, I'm going to embarass myself, everyone is looking at me, what if I mess up
Feeling: very anxious- sweaty, hot, shaking, nausea
What I did: stumbled over my words, looked down at my papers,

In is example you can see that being unprepared for meetings may be a trigger and something you can change.
This is just an example but can really help you identify areas for change.
Hope this helps!
Janine Ward
Accredited Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and a qualified Mental health Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/janine_ward.php

3 posts