Anti-depressants

If you have questions relating to low mood or to depression please post them here. These might include questions on symptoms, managing depression and treatment options. (Currently open for pre-clinic questions. These will be answered by Experts from 15 to 21 October 2014).

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Janine Ward

by Janine Ward on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Re: Anti-depressants

Anti depressant medication such at selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs like Citalopram, Sertraline and Fluxotine are all indicated as first choice for the treatment of moderate to severe depression. As part of their course of action they will make you feel ill for up to a maximum or 4-6 weeks as they start to selectively stop seretonin from being absorbed by your receptors thus improving your mood as more serotonin remains in the body. Often side effects include gastro problems like nausea and upset stomach. These should subside after 2 weeks ideally, but if they don't, it might be that your GP needs to prescribe you a different group of antidepressants which work on different parts of your body and enable the side effects to be different as they have different modes of action.Have you spoken to your Gp about the side effects you have had and how long they have went on for? If not I would first advise this.

Alternatively try looking at the www.iapt.nhs.uk website for information on other interventions available rather than counselling such as cognitive behavioural therapy which looks at the ways we think and behave and how this can make us feel in different situations. The therapy can help us make small changes in the way we think or behave to improve how we feel.

I hope this is helpful!
Janine Ward
Accredited Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner and a qualified Mental health Practitioner

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/janine_ward.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:50 am

Re: Anti-depressants

Hi,

I completely understand your fear of taking anti-depressants, especially when they have made you feel unwell in the past.

I agree with Janine - you may find CBT helpful, as this helps you to have a more positive view of life. Also taking good care of yourself by eating a healthy diet, taking regular exercise and making sure you get enough sleep could help to improve your mood. However, if none of these measures help you could try a herbal or vitamin supplement.

There are various supplements you could try, including St. John's wort, Omega 3 oils, 5 HTP and Vitamin B complex. It may be worth taking one of these first, to see if they help your symptoms. St John's wort in particular has good evidence that it works well for mild to moderate depression. It can interact with other drugs, so if you are taking prescribed drugs check with your GP or pharmacist first. It can also sometimes increase sensitivity to sunlight, but apart from that it's considered very safe. For more information on this and other supplements for depression please read my previous post on natural remedies for depression viewtopic.php?f=690&t=6866#p19548

I hope this information is helpful :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts