Deeply coloured urine

If you have questions relating to the bladder including incontinence, bladder cancer, bladder outflow obstruction, enuresis, or bladder stones, please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
eclass

by eclass on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Deeply coloured urine

I previously posted "Continued use of Finasteride" on Nov 19 2012 . This gives background and information re my TURP. My GP has advised me to continue with Finasteride.
Early this year I began to have episodes of deeply coloured urine. It looks like blood to me. This has happened about 8 times since March. The episodes last about 2-3 urination cycles getting clearer each time. There is no associated pain. My family think it is linked to deeply dyed foods-all red (it is definitely not linked to eating beetroot). In July I discussed this with my GP who did a range of blood tests and PSA (my second this year). All normal (PSA 2.9 both times) except there was some protein in my urine (this is to be reviewed again in early 2015). My doctor also got me to do detailed blood pressure checks which again are normal. Do I need to be concerned by the urine discolouration.?
One other issue. I occasionally get very uncomfortable pin like sensations in the area of the perineum when urinating-not often, perhaps 2 times per month.
At these times I also need to urinate more frequently. If I then drink lots of water the problem resolves itself fairly quickly. I had bladder stones removed during my TURP which had caused my urine to be deeply coloured as well as causing irritation during urination. Could these symptoms relate to stones? I continue to do an IPSS every month or so getting a typical score of 2-3. I am 65 and other than above in very good health. My only other health issue is Asthma which is well controlled.

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: Deeply coloured urine

If it looks like blood then it probably is
You should get it investigated with a camera test (cystoscopy) and ultrasound /CT of the kidneys to check everything.

Most likely is that it is due to prostatic regrowth but could be new stones or recurrent infections
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts