Page 1 of 1

Re: sensitive skin and the sun

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 pm
by Professor_Brian_Diffey
A number of the major sunscreen manufacturers will make a sunscreen specifically for sensitive skin. For example, here is a link to the Soltan product made and sold by Boots ( ... l_1207170/). If you are concerned that any cream you apply to your face causes irritation, you could always wear a hat with a large, floppy brim to protect your face when you are in the sun.

Re: sensitive skin and the sun

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:17 pm
by Dr Anton Alexandroff
Thank you for your question.
I completely agree with Professor Diffey.
I personally like SunSense sunscreen.
I think more importantly is to make sure you are adequately protected from sun rays and that you are using a sunscreen with at least SPF30 (although I personally use SPF50). It is also important to re-apply it often especially if you swim.

Of note, rarely, one may become allergic to sunscreens which sometimes can be confused with irritation caused by sunscreens. If you suspect an allergy to a sunscreen, you may want to see a dermatologist and consider a skin allergy test called patch testing.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff PhD MRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
University Hospitals of Leicester, Spire and Nuffield Leicester Hospitals
twitter: @your_skin_dr

Re: sensitive skin and the sun

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:57 pm
by Dr Dev Shah
I agree with the above, I personally always recommend SPF 50 with a high UVA rating as well (shown by the round circle with a UVA in the middle).

The best sunscreen is the one you will use and suits you. So try a variety as there is such a huge range available from creams, oils and tinted sunscreens.

If you always have problems then it maybe wise to see a dermatologist for allergy testing.