Thrush and BV

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
london86

by london86 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:03 am

Thrush and BV

Hello
I have thrush and BV at least twice a year, I believe I am now immune to the antibiotics as I have had to take so often!
What can I do, (if anything) other than go to sexual health clinic who will just give me more antibiotics to take?
Many Thanks for your help

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:13 am

Re: Thrush and BV

Hi, the most important thing is to make sure it actually is thrush and BV. The next time you have symptoms, make sure you have a swab before having any treatment so we get an accurate diagnosis. If it is thrush and BV, then lots of things can bring it on eg stress, hormones, underlying diabetes etc

What contraception do you use?
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

Louisa Draper

by Louisa Draper on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:54 am

Dear london86, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering with this - it can be really horrible and frustrating, so we can try and help prevent you getting so many episodes.

The most important thing to do first is to get a proper diagnosis - have you had these episodes diagnosed by a doctor? I would advise you go to your GP, or a sexual health clinic. (You can find a local clinic here: http://www.nhs.uk/service-search). Please explain to them that you are having recurrent symptoms, and that you really want to get to the bottom of what is happening, and ask to have an examination, and some tests. I would also recommend getting tested for STIs too (sexually transmitted infections), as the symptoms of thrush, BV, and STIs can all be very similar, so please get a full check-up!

Once you have a definitive diagnosis, here are some tips:

Thrush:
- Get a test for diabetes, as this can make you more prone to outbreaks of thrush.
- If you ever take antibiotics, then this can upset the balance of natural bacteria, so mention to your doctor that you are prone to thrush if you are ever prescribed antibiotics.
- Try and wear loose cotton underwear, especially in the summer heat! Avoid tight clothing, or anything that will make you sweat. Sitting in wet swimming costumes is also a no-no!
- Lastly, although vaginal thrush isn't an STI as such, it can be passed to partners during sex, so I would recommend avoiding sexual contact until the infection clears up, to avoid re-infecting each other.

BV
- Wash your genital area only with water and gentle unperfumed products. Do not wash inside, or use any vaginal deodorants etc.
- Use a gentle detergent to wash your clothes.
- If you have a coil in place for contraception, talk to your doctor about this and mention you are getting frequent episodes of BV.

Let us know if you have further questions. I hope some of this helps!
Louisa Draper
Medical Director MBBS MA (OXON)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... draper.php

london86

by london86 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Dr Helen Webberley wrote:Hi, the most important thing is to make sure it actually is thrush and BV. The next time you have symptoms, make sure you have a swab before having any treatment so we get an accurate diagnosis. If it is thrush and BV, then lots of things can bring it on eg stress, hormones, underlying diabetes etc

What contraception do you use?
Yes I always have swabs no sti but thrush and bv always come up
I was on pill but since being diagnosed with cervical ectropion and hpv like features after colposcopy decided to come of it, my partner uses condoms.

london86

by london86 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Louisa Draper wrote:Dear london86, I am sorry to hear that you are suffering with this - it can be really horrible and frustrating, so we can try and help prevent you getting so many episodes.

The most important thing to do first is to get a proper diagnosis - have you had these episodes diagnosed by a doctor? I would advise you go to your GP, or a sexual health clinic. (You can find a local clinic here: http://www.nhs.uk/service-search). Please explain to them that you are having recurrent symptoms, and that you really want to get to the bottom of what is happening, and ask to have an examination, and some tests. I would also recommend getting tested for STIs too (sexually transmitted infections), as the symptoms of thrush, BV, and STIs can all be very similar, so please get a full check-up!

Once you have a definitive diagnosis, here are some tips:

Thrush:
- Get a test for diabetes, as this can make you more prone to outbreaks of thrush.
- If you ever take antibiotics, then this can upset the balance of natural bacteria, so mention to your doctor that you are prone to thrush if you are ever prescribed antibiotics.
- Try and wear loose cotton underwear, especially in the summer heat! Avoid tight clothing, or anything that will make you sweat. Sitting in wet swimming costumes is also a no-no!
- Lastly, although vaginal thrush isn't an STI as such, it can be passed to partners during sex, so I would recommend avoiding sexual contact until the infection clears up, to avoid re-infecting each other.

BV
- Wash your genital area only with water and gentle unperfumed products. Do not wash inside, or use any vaginal deodorants etc.
- Use a gentle detergent to wash your clothes.
- If you have a coil in place for contraception, talk to your doctor about this and mention you are getting frequent episodes of BV.

Let us know if you have further questions. I hope some of this helps!
Thank you-have noted all of above, will be going for yet another check up at GUM clinic in next few days!

5 posts