Can chlamydia cause heavy periods?

This is the forum to ask our experts all your questions about the different types of STI's, signs and symptoms, and how to get tested if you are concerned you may have an STI etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
susie

by susie on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Can chlamydia cause heavy periods?

I’m 17 years old and have recently started sleeping with my boyfriend. He’s the first person I’ve slept with but I’m the second woman he’s slept with. Since we started sleeping together, about 6 months now, my periods are getting heavier. Is this just a coincidence or could there be another reason. I was talking to a friend about it and she said I should be tested for Chlamydia. Can Chlamydia cause heavy periods? Should I get tested for this? Thank you.

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Re: Can chlamydia cause heavy periods?

Hi there, this is an easy question for me to answer - if anyone has any tiny weenie concern that they may have been exposed to a sexually transmitted infection then they should have a test.

These are really easy to do with your own doctor, or at a family planning clinic or a GUM clinic. Lots of people even do them on home testing kits these days. And the great news is that you can test for Chlamydia on a urine sample, so it's really easy.

Chlamydia that is left untreated can do terrible damage. Treating Chlamydia is really easy - just one antibiotic.

So yes, get tested - and tell all your friends to as well :-)
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

2 posts