What is my risk for having caught HIV?

If you have questions about HIV please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Vicki Cartman

by Vicki Cartman on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:26 am

What is my risk for having caught HIV?

Now i'm worried that i could have HIV , can you tell me what the risk of catching HIV is from living with somebody who has HIV?

Dr Steve Taylor

by Dr Steve Taylor on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

Re: What is my risk for having caught HIV?

Hi it very much depends on what you mean by living with someone with HIV. HIV is mainly transmitted sexually and by sharing drug-using equipment. HIV enters the body in blood, semen, vaginal fluid or breast-milk from a person who has HIV. It is not transmitted by everyday contact or from contact with objects that an HIV-positive person has touched. HIV is not transmitted by saliva, sweat, tears, spit, urine or faeces. HIV is not transmitted by deep-kissing, or from body rubbing or contact with infectious fluid on skin. HIV is not spread by air or by insects. Information about how HIV is transmitted can also be found on the Saving Lives website http://www.savinglivesuk.com . If you think you may have HIV, or have been at risk of catching HIV then the best thing to do is to take an HIV test yourself. Testing is easy and cheap or free. If you are worried that you have been at risk please take a test.

2 posts