Can anyone recommend a emollient to use in this hot weather?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
Paulapip

by Paulapip on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:12 pm

Can anyone recommend a emollient to use in this hot weather?

Hi all
I'm hitting my head agaist a brick wall over which creams or emollients to use in this sweaty heat for my 3 year old son?
We have been given endless amounts of cream and ointments to try from the dermalogy dept and none seem to help his skin. this is the list so far

Aveeno- good but endless applying and not strong enough during a flare up
Edaderm cream- using at present, but whist rubbing it goes all sticky and makes his skin all weeping, like its blocking his pores
Doublebase- becomes watery when rubbed in
Cetraben- again becomes weepy and blocks his pores so he sweats
Demol cream- seems good but not strong enough and endless applying

i've also gone out and brought these "super so they say" herbal creams and ointments

chickweed and purepotions- both include beeswax which makes his sweat, better to use during the winter

i feel that all of the above have something in the ingredients that make him worse, does anyone agree?

I'm fed up with the contance trips to the doctors and phamacys.
I'm fighting a losing battle with the wet wraps he pulls them off in anger.
Please help. Paula x

sunny81

by sunny81 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Can anyone recommend a emollient to use in this hot weat

Hi there...

sorry to hear about your dilemma...

I would stick to either cetraben or aveeno - they are the only safest ones I know.. ensure he drinks filtered water (tap water contains chlorine, depending on where you are - you could google 'hard water areas uk'), SHOWER in COLD water - make it less than 3 mins... and plenty of water.

I would not suggest dermol cream.. if you read up on it, especially on this forum.. it is known to have some 'detergent' properties in it... it maybe ok as a soap substitute though...

best wishes,
Sunny81

Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi Paula

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

I have tried all the creams you mention too. And have found in this heat on the baby what works for us is a very thin layer of 50/50 white soft and liquid paraffin cream helps. It is greasy and sticky but if i apply it thinly and regularly it seems to help. But i know everyone is different so it may not work for you.

I know it can feel like you're fighting a loosing battle and that you spend you entire life either at the doctors or in the chemist.... Keep on trucking you will get there
x b

Paulapip

by Paulapip on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm

thank you all for your advice, becky ,funny enough i have the 50/50 paffin wax in my colection of creams, so i will try that next time the weather gets hot and sticky, I'm normally really good at remember which creams work best, but when the weather changes its like ahhhhhhhhhh which one?, We'll all get there in the end x

MarcieMom

by MarcieMom on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 am

Paraffin may irritate some sensitive skin, http://eczemablues.com/2012/02/sensitiv ... -to-avoid/

I use Physiogel & QV cream for my toddler and we live in sunny Singapore; basically, any cream that doesn't contain the top allergens, then choose whichever price/look/feel you like!
Marcie Mom
twitter me @MarcieMom
Visit my blog, eczemablues.com

Allergyhub

by Allergyhub on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:23 am

Most successful for me was shea butter - 100% pure unrefined - its really hard and smells a bit, but it covers well and keeps skin soft. I mix it with coconut oil to make it smell nice. You have to use it more often than a petroleum based emollient, but its the closest natural thing to emollient I have found yet

jollymolly

by jollymolly on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Little Jack has been having trouble with eczema and I have just recently been using a cream by mama nature called small troubles which has helped get it under control. His eczema used to flare up quite badly but since using this cream there have been no flare ups and it is healing the eczema well. It is not only a good moisturiser but also heals. It has calendula, cococnut oil and shea butter and smells divine. It's pricey but I suppose you get what you pays for. Its also non greasy. In the hot weather I apply sunscreen over it and so far it is working well. It also does not block his pores and make him sweat so his skin breathes.

chrissy00

by chrissy00 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:09 am

. My ankles , wrist, abdomen, and between fingers used to be horrible. I use a mixture of Butters and oils that contain natural germ fighters, keep my skin properly moisturized .I gave it to quite a few people and all have had great results. Please please read Ebay listing 161025004402, and it will explain how the ingredients repair, moisturize and heal the skin.

chal.nikkal

by chal.nikkal on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I have found in this heat on the baby what works for us is a very thin layer of 50/50 white soft and liquid paraffin cream helps. It is greasy and sticky but if i apply it thinly and regularly it seems to help. But i know everyone is different so it may not work for you.?

Last edited by chal.nikkal on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:38 am

QV Intensive is mostly paraffin - I know some moms are against it and organic product companies definitely against it too. I wasn't sure about using it but given how unwilling my daughter is to moisturizing these days (with some mood swings/ disruption of routine from illness), I find that the intensive last longer. No adverse reaction too.
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

10 posts