Orgasm and arousal

Ask our panel of medical experts your questions about all aspects of sex and relationships, sexual identity, harmful situations (abuse, alcohol drugs in relation to sex) etc.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
josie

by josie on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Orgasm and arousal

During sex I often want to continue however my partner is finished once he has had an orgasm. Is there a time period after orgasm for a man that he is likely to become aroused again?

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 am

Re: Orgasm and arousal

Hi there, everyone is different in their 'recovery' time so there isn't really an actual answer to your question. It sounds a bit frustrating for you - have you talked to your partner about this? Is there a way that he could delay his orgasm until you are also ready to finish? If he has finished, are there other things you could do together such as using vibrators or toys, or oral sex or masturbation, so that you are able to carry on?

The biggest key here is communication, find the right time to talk about it and come up with ideas to try so that you are both satisfied?

I hope this helps, Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

Natasha Anderson

by Natasha Anderson on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Orgasm and arousal

josie wrote:During sex I often want to continue however my partner is finished once he has had an orgasm. Is there a time period after orgasm for a man that he is likely to become aroused again?

Hi there, this does sound quite frustrating, your needs are not being met...
It is difficult to say when a male is able to be aroused again shortly after orgasm, this is an individual thing, it can take a number of minutes to days, this is known as the recovery period or (refractory period), during this stage it is said to be physically impossible for a man to orgasm again, because relaxing chemicals are produced during ejaculation, making some men sleepy, but this as also been disputed, with some men giving accounts of multiple orgasms. Perhaps you could both try spending more time together on foreplay. Do you and your partner talk about sex? Do you know what you both like sexually? How you both like to be touched? What delays his orgasm and vice versa?

Natasha 
Natasha Anderson
Sexual Health Adviser and Psychosexual Therapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... derson.php

3 posts