Constipation problems

Please ask any questions about Crohns disease, Bowel cancer, Ulcerative colitis or related conditions here.
4 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Constipation problems

I suffer with I think constipation, I work away from home for 4 weeks then go home for 2 weeks, whilst home I have a bowel movement everyday, the day I leave i am on the loo on and off from 6am until I leave home at 1pm. Once away I don't go for about 3 weeks, I don't feel bloated but have been in pain this last few days, I have been after getting some news from home which upset me a little. Tho I eat fruit, veg, fish, meat, I don't eat, choc, cake, bread, crisps etc I have Been exercising more this time, I have 2 cups of tea in the morning then drink 7/8 glasses of water a day. When I do go I poss pass 3 marble sized then nothing for days and days. Have also noticed when I went after being upset I did loads but it had a sort of mucus around it. What is happening and why don't I go. Cali (talkhealth guest post)
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Jane Dean

by Jane Dean on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: Constipation problems

I think you may have already recognised the link between emotional problems and your gut ( digestive system). There have been many scientific papers written on the "gut / brain connection".
You are doing the right thing by drinking lots of water but you may also need a bulking agent like phylum husk, ask your local health store for this.
The mucus will be produced by the sides of the colon in an effort to relieve the constipation.

Dr Roger Goulds

by Dr Roger Goulds on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:45 pm

It sounds as if your problem may be stress related or possibly due to a change of diet when you are away, as you seem to be fine at home.
I am however concerned about you passing some mucus , and suggest you consult with a doctor.
Dr Roger Goulds
talkhealth Medical Director
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... goulds.php

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:35 am

It is clear that your bowels are very responsive to how you feel emotionally. Like many people, being away from your familiar surroundings blocked you up, while becoming anxious made your bowels very irritable. The reason for these erratic changes in your bowel function are much more likely to do with how confident you feel than diet or exercise. Your bowels are acting as your safety monitor and are telling you this doesn’t feel right. I would suggest that if you cannot change this pattern of work/life, you try to find sufficient time to relax and focus on something peaceful you enjoy. We recently published an article on Mindfulness in our quarterly magazine, Gut Reaction. Contact the IBS Network to obtain a copy (www.theibsnetwork.org)
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

4 posts