Washing Powders/Liquids

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

34 posts
rbj1

by rbj1 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Washing Powders/Liquids

Hi everyone,

I have a severe allergy to many washing powders and liquids. I have to avoid clothes freshly washed in biological washing powder as the airborne particles react with my skin just as bad as if I were wearing the clothes! My face looks like I've been involved in a fire and swells up so I can't see out of either eye, it takes about a week to completley go down again.

I have suffered with eczema for 29 years now on my hands and arms but this reaction is always most violent. Luckily the only product I don't react with is Boots Sensitive Skin Range but they seem to be discontinuing it!!! I'm booked in with my dermatolagist for a patch test at the end of the year to sort out what ingredient is setting me off but until then I need suggestions....what do people use in their washing machine that doesn't set off their eczema?

Thanks!!!! :D

figgymyson

by figgymyson on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 am

Re: Washing Powders/Liquids

I've recently switched from using the boots washing powder and fabric conditioner as I too am struggling to find it anymore. I'm now using Surcare which is available in most supermarkets. Not having any reaction yet. Also it is doing a much better job of cleaning my stuff than the Boots stuff.

donna86

by donna86 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Ive started to use surcare washing powder and washing up liquid at it hasn't reacted with me at all, Ive found it the best that Ive used
Good luck with the patch tests!!

kateandkyle

by kateandkyle on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:32 pm

I use surecare and if you are in uk ,Tesco has it at half price at the moment :) :D
Had no problems with it ,its worth a try !!

annp

by annp on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi
good luck with patch tests fingers crossed for you

alfieandme

by alfieandme on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi
I have just recently purchased ecoballs. They sell them on the internet or in John Lewis. 3 little balls - totally 'eco' with no chemicals. I used to use Sure care for my little boy who had terrible skin on his face - we used steriods all the time to keep his skin ok. We changed to the ecoballs and now we have not used a steriod on his face for ages - I believe that this is down to the ecoballs. They are not cheap at £30ish pounds, but they last 1000 washes. They are not great for the family wash as we are all really grubby!!!! But you do get a 30 day money back offer if not happy. They clean fine and the clothes smell fine too!

I think they have certainly helped us and I never even realised that my son might be reacting to surecare as it is mild.

A number of people have raved about these in the National Eczema Magazine (where I heard about them). I do not think that you can get any milder than this!

Good luck - Rebecca

kes75

by kes75 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Soap Poweders

I joined here because I wanted to share my great news on a soap powder. My daughter has had eczema since birth and will be 5 in sept. I tried an eco soap powder as it was on special offer and after it had finished I noticed my daughters skin getting worse again. SO I went online to find it, and bought loads. I have been using it now for 2 months and although her skin still has some flares it is AMAZING how much better it actually is. I dont have to use her emoilents half as much or the steriods over as much of her body. Just on little patches. Her eczema was not the worst I have seen but was bad, i could have cried for her. she ask mummy why do I get all this cream and can I have a night off etc..

I say give it a go what have you got to loose. It was SIMPLY WASH NON BIO. Iam a mum not an advitisor. i bought some in a local co-op but they found it hard to get again and from research i think sainburys sells it. But I just bought a load from the webiste as it was such a good price and got a box free too. what do you have to loose and its cheaper than an other well known one that does not seem to be as effective. (I also done searches for reviews and it seems to be as good as ariels new gel, on a low temp wash. and I agree, even for getting the epiderm out of. GIVE IT A TRY. its worth at least that and I hope it helps some of you and your kids.. GOOD LUCK

kes75

by kes75 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Simply Wash Non Bio --been using this for a few months now for my little girl who has had eczema for over 4 years and the best her skin has looked is while we have been using this.
Worth giving it a go.. Plus not too expensive

JulieR

by JulieR on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 pm

We use all Melaleuca products for our family. I originally just purchased things as we ran out but when my mother-in-law purchased the whole house conversion kit, I could not believe the changes that occurred immediately. My daughter had spent the weekend before the conversion and broke out every day. A week and a half after the conversion and having sheets washed, etc. with these products, she did not break out at all. I switched my house 100% to these products and it's been over 6 years now and she has done so well!! What an amazing blessing. The products are guaranteed and would be worth a try.

yebaws

by yebaws on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:14 pm

We had been using Surcare washing liquid as my son's eczema was triggered by other products. He has recently had a flare-up all over his torso, arms and legs which we couldn't attribute to any changes around the house . However, just realised that it coincides with the change in the Surcare washing liquid to a concentrated product, the old version seems to have been discontinued. We called their careline and there are 2 new ingredients. Has anyone else found this to have an effect?

The ecoballs sound like a good idea, but I'm not sure if they're up to dealing with the dirt a toddler can get on their clothes!

34 posts