Don't Cover Yourselves Up - Be Proud of Who You Are

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
itchyhippy

by itchyhippy on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Don't Cover Yourselves Up - Be Proud of Who You Are

I have suffered from excema for 20 years. i have been through the ups and downs, through wishing it away, through trying everything, through hating my body through the tears and the pain. And i have now come to realise that excema is just part of who i am. even though it may clear up i know that it may always come back. Since starting uni (i am now in my second year) and from using these sites, i have come to realise that excema is much more common than i always used to think. i am not a freak and there are people who know what its like. Although some people may not have it as bad as me, or it may just be confined to a certain place - it doesnt mean they don't know how it feels. From talking to people about my skin i have come to realise just how common it is and realise that i am not alone. I remember once on a night out i saw a guy who had eczema on his arms - i had seen him around before but never noticed that he had eczmea. This is when i realised that he probably - like me and other sufferers covered up when his skin was bad and i came to realise that maybe, if we all stopped covering ourselves up, maybe people would become more aware of it - it would also help others with eczema to realise that they are not alone.
My partner has also helped me to see that my view of myself has been drastically swayed by my skin - i could never see past the scars and the red patches and missed all the things that other people saw, because remember your skin will always appear 10x worse to you than it does to other people - some people may not even notice it at all! its true! i used to think people who said this were just being nice or lying - but i now realise it is actually true. So try this. list 5 things that you like about yourself -be honest. everyone has things they don't like about themselves and everyone has good and bad points - so try to focus on the good things. If you're not sure ask the people around you - ask your mates what they think is your best feaure - you may be surprised by the results!!

I still suffer badly and this doesnt help the pain or the itching, but it does help my general outlook, it gives me confidence and stops me becoming depressed and best of all it's all true!!!
So bring out that smile and be proud of who you are!!!!!:D
Last edited by itchyhippy on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammie

by Sammie on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Don't cover yourselves up - be proud of who you are

I agree...

I think that there is no cure for eczema... That is it a part of who you are and and always will be.
And it is just a matter of avoiding the triggers for the rest of your life.

I have only had a couple of bad reactions in 20 years...And I made sure everyone know I had eczema and my feelings about it. Most ppl where sympathetic and offered advice. Which I always took on board.

I met my husband when I had eczema, we have been married now for 15 years and he has never said a negative comment to me in all that time. Infact he has on occasions in the past, bathed me and bandaged my hands and feet, because I was unable to do this myself.
Luckly there are very few people in this world that will frown and look down at others with skin conditions, but those I just think.....One day this may be you!!!!!

I don't think I know anyone who hasn't or doesn't suffer from some sort of skin condition...

And it is really great that there are places like this on the net for people to openly discuss their situation...I just wish it had been around when my skin was bad..

I wish everyone well..x :D

Hope

by Hope on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:13 am

Wow !for da luv of mankind.. glad to meet positive people -sammie n itchyhippie!
Hope more people gain a more happier outlook .. loved ur posts .. Tc! :)

goldfinger

by goldfinger on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:32 am

i think realising you're not the only person with it is really important. i used to think nobody else my age could get it, and certainly not anyone i knew. but realising that its perfectly common does help a lot i think, and having a good attitude recently has helped me a lot. i think realising "its part of my life now ill do the best i can!" is important too, my friend has dyslexia and whenever i moan about egzema she always jokes that she feels the same way about being dyslexic...

kristinmiya

by kristinmiya on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Don't Cover Yourselves Up - Be Proud of Who You Are

I've had eczema for about 15 years now too and I'm actively trying to adopt this POV! About a year ago I decided to completely discontinue the use of steroids which I have been on since I was about 10. That plus moving from the west coast to the east coast spurred one of the worst flairs I've had in my life this past winter.

I've always wished I could be "normal" like everyone else, but now that I'm 23 I'm realizing I shouldn't let it hold me back. Like many young adults, I love fashion and have always felt limited - whether it be covering up my arms and legs when the eczema is bad, or still choosing only cotton even when the eczema is good. Now that its spring and my skin is slowly on the mend, I'm getting inspired to embrace my condition and discover ways to work with it. The pain and embarrassment has always been hard to push though, but knowing others are out there too who are trying to "make lemons into lemonade" definitely boosts my spirits!

5 posts