Athletic equipment help!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
tjones

by tjones on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Athletic equipment help!

My 9 year old is extremely athletic and plays hockey, football and baseball. The elbow pads for hockey and football irritate the eczema. Besides trying to control it with creams, any suggestions for helping prevent the irritation?Quitting the sports is not an option.
Thanks
Tracy

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Athletic equipment help!

Could you put dressings under the pads?

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 pm

have u tried putting over clothing eg 2 pairs of socks with shin pads inbetween and long sleeved top we didnt have that problem as my sons skin likes the damp so his shins were often the best part of his legs!!!! we also wear full skins in cold weather to protect from wind etc

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi, I am juggling this one too. Often I leave my sons shin pads off. But I noticed someone waering them over their socks a few weeks ago. I think in winter I will try dermasilk under the pads even if it means cutting some up to make leg tubes. I am struggling to find long COTTON socks for childrens sports.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Football / Sports Socks

Hi
My sons football socks have shredded his feet again today as they are 100% synthetic material, nylon or acrylic. Please can anyone let me know if they have childrens long sports socks that have SOME COTTON CONTENT and where they are from. They need to be long to fit over the shin pads. His feet struggle to heal and he has dressings for pressure sores from last time on his feet now as the skin is so painful. He had to travel home in bare feet and be carried to the car. Such a shame for a 5 year old who just wants to play his favouite game.

Any direction of where to look would be great he is only a size 11 so fairly small feet.

Thanks Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

mars

by mars on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Football / Sports Socks

hi, my son is also football mad. he wears thin cotton socks then his shinguards then football socks, even if it means wearing a size bigger in football boots.this seems to work.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 pm

thank you, I'll give it a go.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm

we do the two layer thing with socks and it does seem to work, my son gets this on hot days in normal socks and shoes/trainers and we have yet to find a cure for that, his feet are growing so much that two pairs of socks is not always viable eg size adult 5 last sept 7 .5 this sept size 9 astro to get everthing in!!!

8 posts