Skin damage

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.
6 posts
LindaR

by LindaR on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Skin damage

Shin
Shin
image.jpg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
My husband fell and scraped the skin off his shin four years ago and it still hasn't returned to normal. He dropped something on the back of the calf of his other leg 9 months ago and this is now too very damaged. The skin is very brown, red and thin. The slightest knock takes skin off again and it bleeds and weeps. He would like to know what can he do to repair the skin or make it stronger. Sorry the photo is blurred.
Damage to shin
Damage to shin
image.jpg (191.07 KiB) Viewed 3316 times

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Skin damage

Dear Linda,

Many thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to make much out to give you a definitive diagnosis from then photographs. If you both remain concerned, it may be a good idea to visit your doctor who will be able to perform a proper examination of the skin with the benefit of your husband's full medical history (which may be relevant).

Sorry not to be able to help in this instance.

Best wishes,

Dr Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

LindaR

by LindaR on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 pm

Thank you for looking. I had to make the images smaller to be able to upload them but that took away the definition. His doctor has basically said that the skin is dead and there is nothing that can be done so I just really wanted a second opinion. Thank you

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Dear LindaR,

Thank you for you questions,

I agree with Dr Mahto that from these photographs it is very difficult to make a diagnosis. Perhaps you could ask your family doctor to refer you to a dermatologist?

With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MCP(UK) CCT(Dermatology) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester Spire and Nuffield Health Hospitals and University Hospitals of Leicester
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

LindaR

by LindaR on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank you Dr Anton Alexandroff. We do mention it to the doctor whenever we see him but he just seems to think that there is nothing that can be done. We will try again to push to see a dermatologist.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Dear Linda,

thank you. I think you are right - try to ask for a second opinion from a dermatologist.

With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MCP(UK) CCT(Dermatology) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester Spire and Nuffield Health Hospitals and University Hospitals of Leicester
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter: your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

6 posts