try everythink nothing works

Ask our experts your questions about all aspects of eczema and dry skin.
6 posts
amyupton

by amyupton on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:23 pm

try everythink nothing works

Hi i am 23 years old and i have been suffering eczema since 2 years old i have used all sorts of creams like cetraben, ointment creams ,diprobase & many more i just don't no how to get rid of it i feel so depressed about it all the time i hate wearing short sleeves tops because my arms look horrible i just need someone that knows what there talking about and give me some think that will take it away. I cant use any type of washing power to wash my clothes i have to use the asda own or Tesco own washing power. The stuff i use for my skin in the shower is the simple stuff but even that makes me itchy. If anyone can help me that would be great.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and hope to hear from you soon

Amy x

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:14 am

Re: try everythink nothing works

Hey Amy
Good that you contact the clinic with this as there is a lot that will help you and there is no need to give up and get depressed! I suggest you start of by finding out more about atopic eczema from your GP: ask for some extra time with someone at the surgery to take you through the basics so that you understand better the treatments they recommend. These will not work very well if you do not understand what they are and how to use them. Next, find out more about how to help yourself by reading a little book called "The Eczema Solution" by Sue Armstrong-Brown (see below*) Show it to the person you see at your surgery and ask them to help you to use it. Please get in touch with me if you want any more help!
(*See https://www.allergybestbuys.co.uk/produ ... rong-brown)
Last edited by ckbridgett on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi, I agree - you shouldn't have to put up with this. Some eczemas have no cure - we just need to keep a lid on it with treatment. You need to:

1. avoid any triggers
2. use lots of moisturiser
3. put steroid cream on the red bits

this will settle it down and then when it reappears, rush back in with the creams (including the steroid cream) before it gets too bad again.

I hope this helps, Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear about your eczema - I've suffered from it myself and know how itchy, sore and unsightly it can be.

As Dr. Webberley suggests, avoiding/managing your triggers - where possible, will help. For example one of my main triggers is stress - which isn't always possible to avoid, but if my skin starts to flare up I know it's time to ease up a little and relax.

Also, I find 1 per cent hydrocortisone cream very effective for calming flare-ups. I don't know if you've tried that?

You could also try supplementing your diet with evening primrose oil (EPO), an omega 6 fatty acid, and fish oils which provide omega 3 fatty acids. There is some evidence that EPO helps to reduce itching and inflammation. Also, fish oils are thought to reduce inflammation. It may be worth trying both for a minimum of three months to see if you notice an improvement in you symptoms. I take Boots' Omega Oils 3 6 & 9 - which cost £12.29 for 6 months' supply and find that my eczema rarely flares up now.

Finally, you may find my book 50 Things You can Do Today to Manage Eczema http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1840247215 helpful - it's packed with practical advice and tips.

I hope you find relief from your eczema soon.

Wendy Green
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Dear Amy,

Poor you. Eczema can make you feel miserable if you've been scratching all day and night. If your eczema is severe or resistant to standard topical (cream) treatments such as topical steroids, calcineurin inhibitors (protopic, elidel) then you need referral to a dermatologist.

Dermatologists use phototherapy (light treatment) or oral medications that can suppress the immune system and calm your eczema down (e.g. methotrexate, azathioprine). It is worth discussing these treatments if you are getting severe, or regular flare-ups that cannot be managed by creams alone.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Dr Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Dear Amy,

I am so sorry to hear how much you suffer!
I agree with my colleagues-emollients and if necessary steroid or steroid sparing creams can be useful.
But one in 20 patients with eczema/dermatitis may require treatment with phototherapy or powerful tablets/medicines.

sometimes if eczema is difficult to manage an allergy test called patch test may identify allergies to external factors such as preservatives or for instance fragrances in household products. This can be done for you by your dermatologist. If patch test is positive this can be extremely useful because dermatitis may resolve or improve significantly if you avoid identified allergens.

in general ointments are greasier than creams and more effective. This is true for both moisturisers/emollients and steroid / steroid sparing creams (photoptic [tacrolimus], elidel [pimecrolimus])

it is also important not to wash with soaps or shower gels - always use moisturising soap substitutes e.g. diprobase cream, cetrabene cream, oilatum or E45 wash. Even better is to scoop a small amount of emulsifying ointment or epaderm ointment or hydrofoil ointment, lather it under water - it would become soapy - and wash with it - it is simply excellent for your skin! If eczema looks infected - you can use antiseptic emollients to wash with - eczmol cream or Dermol cream or dermal 500 lotion. When you have a bath it might be a good idea to add a bath addictive e.g. dermol 600 or hydromol bath addictive.

If it is of any use, you can see more information about management of eczema/dermatitis
on my website www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MCP(UK) CCT(Dermatology) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester Spire and Nuffield Health Hospitals and University Hospitals of Leicester
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter: your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

6 posts