Acne and pregnancy

If you are living with acne and oily skin, ask our experts your questions.
3 posts
QueenCaroline

by QueenCaroline on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Acne and pregnancy

Hi,

My question is about managing acne while pregnant. During my first pregnancy I had painful cystic acne around my jaw and chin. I read that certain products should be avoided e.g. retinol, salicylic acid. I am now considering a second pregnancy and wondered whether there are any topical treatments that can be used while pregnant without risk of harm to the unborn baby.

ejhazlewood

by ejhazlewood on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:02 am

Re: Acne and pregnancy

I also have a similar question, I hope it's ok to add to this topic. I have bad cystic acne linked to PCOS. It's been two years since my second course of roaccutane and my skin has deteriorated. We've been trying to have a baby for 9 months so I haven't been able to have any treatment during this time. Is there anything that can be prescribed during pregnancy? I'm 28 and having had acne for more than half my life I find it upsetting that it's still this severe.

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Acne and pregnancy

Many thanks for both your questions.

Trying to conceive and pregnancy can be a very tricky time if you are also suffering with acne. Most treatments aren't licensed for use during this period. However, in realistic terms, the chances of absorption into the body of topical or cream treatments is relatively low. I think it is important to have a discussion with your dermatologist who can properly discuss the risks with you. This link, however, may answer many of your questions https://www.aad.org/stories-and-news/ne ... -pregnancy

I think it is also worth mentioning that certain laser and light treatments (red and blue light) may provide some control of acne during this period. Some people have better results than others with this, but it may be a viable option whilst trying to conceive or pregnant. These treatments are not available, however, on the NHS and you would have to look to the private sector.

I hope these answers help.

Best wishes,

Dr Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

3 posts