Cystic Acne

If you are living with acne and oily skin, ask our experts your questions.
3 posts
Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:06 pm

Re: Cystic Acne

Dear Hannah,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having with cystic acne. I am seeing rising rates of female adult acne in my clinics and the problems it can cause with self-esteem and confidence. If you are getting recurrent cystic spots and they tend to flare around menstruation, then I would recommend that you are screened for polycystic ovarian syndrome - this can sometimes be a cause for resistant acne in women. Screening involves blood tests and an ultrasound scan of your ovaries.

From the point of view of treatment, I usually use either isotretinoin (Roaccutane) or spironolactone in female adult acne. If you are getting scars or marks left behind after a bad flare up, then ask for referral to a Dermatologist in your area.

I hope that helps and good luck trying to get this sorted.

Best wishes,

Dr Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: Cystic Acne

Thank you for you questions,

I agree with Dr Mahto. I hope you do not consume excessive amounts of dairy produce - in some patients it can keep acne going.
In addition combined oral contraceptive pill can be helpful. Sometimes I also use antileprosy medication.
Overall it might be sensible to ask for a referral to a dermatologist. If it is of any use, you can see more information about acne on my website www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff MCP(UK) CCT(Dermatology) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester Spire and Nuffield Health Hospitals and University Hospitals of Leicester
Member of the British Association of Dermatologists
www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter: your_skin_dr
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

3 posts