Teens

If you are living with acne and oily skin, ask our experts your questions.
3 posts
Laurensmum

by Laurensmum on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Teens

My daughter is approaching 13 and is suffering terribly with spots - I'm not sure if it is acne. We have tried all sorts of spot creams to get it under control. I don't really want her to have medication, is there anything you can suggest that would help with the breakouts or is it just her age?

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: Teens

Dear Laurensmum,

Many thanks for your question. I think the first step would be to confirm whether or not the problem is indeed, acne - if there is any doubt, then your family doctor will be able to clarify this for you.

It would not be unusual to develop acne at about 13 years of age. During puberty, it is normal for levels of male hormones (known as androgens) to increase in both boys and girls. Androgens cause an increase in the size and activity of the oil producing glands (sebaceous glands) that can contribute to spots.

Lauren may benefit from topical creams prescribed by your GP such as retinoids (e.g. Differin, isotrexin) which will reduce comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) or topical antibiotic preparations (e.g. Zineryt).

If you are not keen on any prescribed medication, even in the form of creams, then there are other general measures that may help to some degree depending on the severity of acne (if that is what the problem is).
1. Cleansing the skin twice a day with products designed for oily skin (often contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide)
2. Using light gel based moisturisers that are "non-comedogenic" and less likely to produce blackheads and whiteheads
3. Opt for oil-free make up and foundations

If her acne is leaving scars or marks on the skin or affecting her self-esteem, then it is important to seek help from your GP or dermatologist.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dr Anjali Mahto
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:37 am

Re: Teens

Hi there, I totally agree that you shouldn't just let your daughter suffer with this. There are lots of effective treatments for acne to stop new spots and to prevent scarring. If your GP can't help then ask another doctor in the practice or push to be referred to a dermatologist. No children should have to have acne scarring in modern days. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

3 posts