Do alternative medicines work?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

7 posts
scratchy

by scratchy on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Do alternative medicines work?

Ive been suffering for several months with ezcema on my arms, legs and pper body. Im moisturising all the time and using betnovate which brings it under control but as soon as I stop it just gets worse again. I went to a Chinese place yesterday which would cost £40 for a consultation including accupuncture and then about £50 for herbs. Im skeptical. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

eczemawarrior

by eczemawarrior on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Do alternative medicines work?

Hey scratchy.
I've been suffering from eczema since I was 9 and I had my worst breakout this year in October. Before, I used corticosteroids and immunsuppressents, but I decided to stop in September..
I decided to see a Chinese Doctor to find the root problem to my eczema. I'm starting to see results; but I'm going to warn you, it's a slow process. Don't expect it to work as fast as those creams. I have eczema on my face and acupunture is really effective to reduce swelling. I would suggest asking around friends/family who have consulted Chinese doctors that have seen success.
Hopefully you find a good and trustworthy doctor! I've seen great improvements and I hope you do as well!
I started a blog last week illustrating my struggles with eczema, feel free to check it out:)
eczemawarrior.wordpress.com

Happy healing!

longterm

by longterm on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:21 am

HI IM LONGTERM SUFFERED WITH EXCEMA FOR NEARLY 52 YRS NOW TRIED MOST THINGS WITH NO REAL AFFECT

FROM MY EXPERIENCE WHAT TREATMENT THAT WORKS FOR MYSELF MAY NOT NECESSARILY WORK FOR YOU

IVE JUST STARTED ON NATURAL REMEDY CREAM AND BATH OIL ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON

MY BROTHER WORKS AND LIVES IN MALAYSIA HES SENT ME SOME SOAP ITS KNOWN AS MOOR
MY SISTER IS A AROMATHERAPIST SHE SAYS CANT DO ANY HARM ITS A SOAP WITH NATURAL THINGS INIT I DONT KNOW YET IF YOU CAN OBTAIN IT IN THE UK

MOOR SOAP
I USE IT BY LITTLE WATER TO MAKE IT LATHER RUB INTO HANDS LEAVE IT ON FOR A FEW MINUTES WASH OFF WITH WATER DRY WITH CLEAN TOWEL I WOULDNT OF KNOWN ABOUT IT
IF IT WASNT FOR MY BROTHER ITS FOR ALL SKIN TYPES
BEST WISHES LONGTERM ILL SEE HOW I GET ON WITH IT

Di in SW Scotland

by Di in SW Scotland on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm currently trying acupuncture, with herbal teas, to stabilise my eczema which flared up after an accident. I've had eczema all my life (66years) and have rarely been free of it.There's always some part of me that has it, to a lesser or greater degree, so it's just a case of finding ways to remain comfortable. The acupuncture is helping a lot, though progress seems slow compared to the quick fix of steroid creams which I avoid as much as possible.The herbal teas ( you would not want to serve these to friends as 'teas') have been very good too BUT taste really awful and the preparation takes an hour once a week (it's kept in the fridge but how you drink it is up to you--I find ice cold, on its own, the best, but you can mix it with fruit juice/ drinking chocolate etc.I take roughly 3/4 tumbler full twice daily). I'm also using a Chinese ointment which is very good and does not contain steroids. It too smells pretty awful. The price quoted for your treatment is expensive.Mine cost £35 for treatment and the same for herbs but the more sessions booked the cheaper it became for both treatment and herbs etc. I was also given skin soaking herbs with which did not help me at all--in fact made me more itchier---so I stopped those and was given the ointment. Before going down this particular alternative medicine route I did my research on positive feedback from other customers. Hope this helps.
Di in Scotland

Helen24

by Helen24 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Up until about nine months ago I was having acupuncture once a week to ease my eczema. It's gone completely from my hands and back (which was sometimes so painful I couldn't even lie down), but I still get it on my arms, legs and tummy. I found that acupuncture helped a lot with relaxation more than anything. My Chinese acupuncturist also did a wonderful massage, which I always looked forward to. I had to stop going though when I couldn't afford it anymore (at £35 a session) and also they got a new bloke who I didn't get on so well with. It's worth a try though, even if it just helps in a small way, and it really doesn't hurt.

suepat

by suepat on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I did well with Chinese Herbs for a while but unfortunately had to stop using them because they were so costly ... I went to one of the top practitioners in the UK so I guess I was paying top whack but there is so much dodgy stuff around ...
Am trying homeopathy at the moment but skin seems worse and i feel very upset and exchausted with it all. Tried acupuncture but that just seeemed to help with relaxation rather than skin symptoms.

Abbotts

by Abbotts on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi,

I have never tried Chinese herbs as I don't know what is in them. Maybe it would be worth finding a herbalist (member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists) who would make you an individual medicine to suit you according to your condition and explain about the herbs he/she is using.

7 posts