De~realization

If you have general questions about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Baytrees

by Baytrees on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 pm

De~realization

What % of the population suffer with de~realization ? What causes it ? This is where I see chairs merging melting into each other,I stand and stare at my minds marvellous trick and I know it's not real but its scary and I used to wonder why.sometimes the floors I walk on are like sponges and the doors gone all soft.I would hold a breakfast spoon but my mind made it shrink to a fairy size spoon.the cars have shrunk or are bigger than lorries.people walking on their heads.buildings become slanted.walls wobble and tables are slanted.chairs I sit on suddenly wobble or sink or grow large.paths become narrow or hugely wide.sometimes I am I giant and sometimes I have shrunk .sounds become distorted and people sound like they talking in another language.smells intensify and can make me feel sick until I move away from smell.sounds make me see colour if it's to loud mainly red.sounds muddle things in my head and I panic feel stressed.I have had this for quite a few years and now I just accept that I might be like it always.it's much better if I stay at home in the quiet and not do to much.it's frustrating because I want to do more but if I do more I suffer more with the distortions.is there any one out there that has same symptoms and how did you manage to deal with it.

Karina Lovell

by Karina Lovell on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:54 am

Re: De~realization

Hello and many thanks for your questions - it is difficult to give you an estimation of the % of the population who have derealisation - as it is an underesearched symptom. It is quite common in anxiety and more so when people have a panic attack - so if you think that these happens when you are anxious and or panicky then I would focus on managing your levels of anxiety. There is lots of help for anxiety and panic with many resources on the internet and help can be sought from local self help groups - and or seeking a referral from your GP for a psychological treatment. If you dont think your symptoms of derealisation are connected with anxiety I would speak to your GP.

Wishing you well
Kind regards

karina
Karina Lovell
Professor of Mental Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lovell.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: De~realization

Hi there, I'm not sure whether you have seen your doctor about this or not, but I suggest you do. They will need to run through a few checks on eg medication / drugs, and your mental functioning to make sure that this is what you are suffering from. It is a little known condition, and needs more evaluation. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

3 posts