Anxiety and depression

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Ukdebzy67

by Ukdebzy67 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 am

Anxiety and depression

Hi just need some advice really I have suffered with depression and anxiety attacks for about 3-4 years now but this past year it has seemed to have got worse and ive had my medication changed a few times, I started suffering with th8s when my marriage broke down that was just the start withing around 3 months my husband had left I lost my long term job as a prison officer due to depression and then my father passed away it was totally soul destroyong i ffelt though I didnt t want to go on and I contemplated stepping in front of a tube I started to pick myself up got another job as a security officer and things were starting to level out but then I got into a fight with a friend who had decided to attack me when she was drunk and I retaliated so lost my security license since then I have progressively gotten worse i feel like I can't do anything right I can't gey a job I havr no family living within 200 miles all I do is either cry all the time or I'm so angry dont talk to anyone keep myself locked away in my flat and I cant sleep have really bad insomnia as well I feel so alone all the time and am really not coping very well any suggestions I can't go on like this

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Anxiety and depression

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent problems, depression and anxiety - it sounds as though you've had a really tough time. However I'm sure that, with the right help, you can overcome your problems and start living a fulfilling life again.

You mention that your medication has been changed a few times - but I wonder if your GP has offered you cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)? I think this form of talking therapy might help you come to terms with your past and deal with your current depression and anxiety.

CBT is endorsed by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) for anxiety, depression and other mental health issues. CBT targets the thoughts (cognition) and behaviour that can play a part in anxiety, and works on the basis that how you think affects the way you feel, how you feel affects the way you behave, and how you behave affects the way you think. It aims to change people’s behaviours by helping them recognise that negative thoughts are not facts - they are just thoughts that can be replaced with more positive and realistic ones.

CBT is now more widely available than in the past through the NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme of talking therapy treatments which support frontline mental health services in treating anxiety disorders and depression. The NHS developed IAPT in 2008 in recognition of a national shortage of CBT practitioners. The service aims to make it easier for people to access CBT by providing more trained therapists in GP surgeries. If counselling isn’t available at your surgery, your GP should be able to refer you to a local counselling service for NHS treatment. If you prefer, you may be able to refer yourself, if that option is available where you live. You can find out what's available in your area by searching for psychological therapy services on the NHS Choices website. You can find out more about CBT in this post viewtopic.php?f=770&t=10881#p26145 I strongly recommend that you ask your GP about this treatment, as it sounds as though the medication you're taking isn't helping you much. You may also find this self-help guide to CBT useful Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies by Rhena Branch http://amzn.to/1VMjhEq

As well as trying CBT you could start taking small steps aimed at improving your general wellbeing. Try to eat healthily - focussing on fish - especially oily fish, poultry, lean meat, nuts, seeds, fruit, vegetables, natural yogurt, cheese and whole grains like wholemeal bread and porridge. Limit your intake of refined, sugary foods and have no more than four or five caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee, cola) daily. Take regular exercise - even starting with a five minute walk and gradually increasing it to thirty minutes daily will help. Taking small steps to change your lifestyle will help you feel better physically and help you feel more positive about yourself.

Do something you enjoy every day - for example cooking, reading, painting, knitting or gardening - it doesn't matter what it is - so long you gain pleasure from doing it and it keeps your mind focussed on the present moment, rather than your past. Doing something absorbing will also take your mind off your current problems and help you to start enjoying life again. Once you start to overcome your depression and anxiety you should find that your sleep improves.

You may also find my self-help books on anxiety http://amzn.to/1VMjzeo and depression http://amzn.to/1Zsd8g3 helpful.

I hope my advice helps you and I wish you a happier and more fulfilling future.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:49 am

Hello, I agree with Wendy that if your current depression medication is not working then you need to look at some additional therapy to help you. Talking therapy is fantastic as it gets right into the bottom of things to see where the depression is coming from and why it is not lifting. The brain is very clever at tucking problems away at the back of the mind where they are not obvious, but do cause problems such as anxiety and depression.

Above all, don't suffer in silence, ask your GP for more help. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

Adam Eason

by Adam Eason on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Hello,

In addition to the very good advice offered up already here, some very basic elements can help you too:

1. Social interaction: The charity MIND offer numerous groups in a lot of local areas for you to meet with other people and be able to interact and talk. Your GP may well be able to advise you of similar groups also. Especially if your family are situated a distance away, developing a good support network and having regular real-life, face-to-face social interaction is proven to help elevate mood and help put depressive symptoms into perspective.

2. Physical activity: Getting some regular physical activity, ideally exercise that elevates your heart rate is a great tonic according to numerous studies.

3. Natural daylight and fresh air: In line with point number 2, taking walks outside, breathing fresh air and connecting with nature helps some people a great deal.

4. Eating healthily: Sometimes when depressed or anxious, individuals can reach for processed foods and convenience foods. Good quality whole foods will help energise you. Seek out the right kind of professional advice with this.

5. Sleep quality: Often, depression is co-morbid with insomnia, and the two can exacerbate each other. Make sure your sleep hygiene is good (dark room, right temperature, no caffeine or stimulants prior to bed time etc) and perhaps consider learning a good progressive relaxation technique, a mindfulness process or a simple breathing exercise to help prepare you for sleep. With quality sleep, you'll feel much more confident and capable of dealing with the issues you cite.

With regards to the CBT referred to here - this should equip you with tools for coping and overcoming the symptoms you cite, in particular it'll help you deal with some of the beliefs you have written about in your post here.

Get in touch if you have any further questions and I wish you the very best seeking a way forward with this.
Adam Eason
Clinical & Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _eason.php

4 posts