Climate/Weather and Eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

31 posts
lmkandes

by lmkandes on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:50 am

My Eczema disappeared in a warmer climate - but why exactly?

Hi there,

I have suffered with Eczema all my life on and off, to varying degrees. In the past when i was living in the UK I treated it mostly with conventional medicine as well as trying Chinese herbs and homoeopathy which both showed improvement at the time (or was it just coincidence) I don't really know. But for the last 5 years of my life (I am 34 now and my skin was at it's worse ever before i left the country) I lived aboard (the Caribbean) and my skin was normal the whole time I was away. I did come home for a period of about 3 months, in which time my eczema reappeared. I am now back in the UK since August and in the last 2 weeks it has reared it's ugly head again. I do not know what the big difference must be. People say it's the sun, but I have tried a sunbed here in the UK and it actually made my skin much much worse. Plus I didn't really sunbath over there, and it's mostly bad on my torso and it didn't see much sun. I might be back in the UK for good now and I am realising my eczema is back but why? Does anyone have any ideas?

JulieR

by JulieR on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 am

Re: My Eczema disappeared in a warmer climate - but why exactly?

Maybe it was the foods you were eating rather than the sun. In sunny locations there are typically more fruits and veggies with more vitamins and nutrients. Have you thought about taking food based supplements. That is what we give our daughter along with replacing harmful substances from our home and modifying her diet.

It has worked for about 5 years now. I just found some pictures of her when she was young and I can't even believe how awful her skin used to be. Poor dear. Nobody should have to suffer like that.

We're here to help if you need us.

Julie

lmkandes

by lmkandes on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:08 am

Re: My Eczema disappeared in a warmer climate - but why exactly?

Hi Julie

Thanks for your response. Sorry to hear about your daughter suffering from eczema too, glad to hear it's all under control now.

The thing was with me in the Caribbean, i was actually eating really unhealthily because i was a chef on a yacht and never really ate a good healthy balanced diet, especially as i don't eat meat and didn't have time to cook a separate meal for myself. Also I know it's hard to believe but all the fruits and vegetables were imported from the States anyway! Here in the UK i have to option of eating alot healthier, as I actually have more choice and time to cook for myself. Though i would be very interested to hear what supplements you would recommend.

Many thanks again,

Lisa

Covkid

by Covkid on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 am

Travelling by airplane is a nightmare - any advice please?

Hello

I have to travel frequently by airplane. I try everything to stop my skin suffering during the flight but still my contact dermatitis is terrible when I get off the plane!!! Pink dry itchy blotches on my torso and tops/backs of legs. Yuck!

I wear cotton clothing and try to moisturise every 3 hours. I also drink lots of water and take Clarityne for about 5 days before flying.

Does anyone have any advice please? It's really getting me down as I'm an expatriate and I have to travel by plane frequently.

Thanks so much.

Puddleduck

by Puddleduck on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:28 am

Re: Travelling by airplane is a nightmare - any advice please?

Hi there,

Have you ever worn silk instead of cotton? It maintains a more even body temperature and when cold it insulates.
There are a number of silk items intended for eczema sufferers made by Dermasilk (check out their website) and you can also buy silk underclothes from outdoor survival shops.

I can't cope without my top-to-toe silk underclothes!

All the best.

Covkid

by Covkid on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks SO much, Puddleduck. I think you're right! I will try silk and let you know if it works.

Really appreciate your advice and thanks for taking the time.

Hope your skin problems are fine right now.

lozzer

by lozzer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 pm

:o Hi COVKID

I WISH i HAD A REMEDY FOR YOU BUT UNFORTUNATELY i HAVE NOT
jUST WONDERING IF YOU ARE A COVENTRY PERSON? HENCE COV KID?

lORRAINE

Covkid

by Covkid on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:43 am

Hello Lorraine

Spot on! I am a Coventry kid but haven't lived there for many years. Visit frequently though to see my family!

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Climate/Weather and Eczema

Does your eczema get better or worse in the winter? Does the sun help? Does going on holiday help or is it a nightmare?
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

gecko

by gecko on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Climate/Weather and Eczema

My eczema is DEFINITELY better in the summer and DEFINITELY much worse in the winter, as is my health generally. Extremes of temperature upset my skin dreadfully, it hates going out on a cold day and then coming back into a warm house/office etc. Being too hot is also not good, but still not as bad for my skin as being in a cold environment.

I also think having to wear lots of clothes to keep warm is bad for my skin. It feels so much better in the summer in cool cotton tops and short sleeves, than (say) wearing a tshirt, sweater and thick jacket, scarf etc....

The sun helps my eczema. I rarely suffer in the summer like I do the rest of the year. I use high protection of course, but I expose my skin as much as possible to the sun and air when its warm and sunny, it feels so good and my skin loves it. So do I! :D

In a nutshell, I itch like mad and have loads of flares in the winter. In the summer my skin is usually very clear, except if I get a heatrash from being too hot, or sunburn - which of course we should all avoid.

31 posts