My Eczema Has Flared Up Severely After 15 Years

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
hashmash

by hashmash on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 pm

My Eczema Has Flared Up Severely After 15 Years

Hi , I've had a history of eczema since birth which was very severe in my childhood until the age of 15 where it all cleared up, meaning I still had dry skin until now which was tackled by a moisturiser like Vaseline intensive care, but all the itchiness red swelling, inflammation, skin infection, skin peeling off etc disappeared.

But sadly all that has come back after 15 years with a vengeance (I'm 31 now) and I'm really confused what's triggered it, It all started off with a small red patch on my left inner elbow and within 3 weeks it spread all over my body. My whole body is covered in big red patches swollen, feel really itchy. I’ve got big patches of skin peeling off, It’s got infected severely and swelled up severely went to doctors and was given an antibiotics and steroid creams.

I really don’t want to go back to them childhood days where I was constantly using steroid creams and medication and coming back from chemist with bags full of creams and tablets, to be honest these creams never helped me, my mum realised these creams were making my skin condition worse and decided to use steroid free creams and started using Vaseline intensive care, Vaseline petroleum jelly etc which kept my eczema under control

Anyway I used to go play 5 aside footballs, swimming and steam room but I've stopped all that now. It feels and looks disgusting and I need a solution how I can cure this again. I’m really concerned where to go next with it.
I mean there's been no change in my diet I’ve been eating the same stuff I was eating for the last 15 years.

Any advice?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 am

Re: My Eczema Has Flared Up Severely After 15 Years

HI Hashmash,

Sorry to hear your eczema came back, but swimming is recommended to manage eczema, as the chlorine can work to kill staph bacteria commonly found on eczema skin. Maybe venture for a swim again when skin's not open wound/scratches?

Also can check if chlorhexidine skin is good for you, it works for my baby.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts