Medication making me unwell

If you are stressed or suffering from anxiety, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
miketuk280568

by miketuk280568 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Medication making me unwell

Hi

I suffer from anxiety and depression and I have been prescribed by the psychiatrist to take pregabalin, ontop of the mirtazapine which I had been taking on the advice of the GP.

I feel like I am not really there anymore. Last week I was unable to see straight when I woke up. I have told my GP this morning, but the advice has been just to keep on the same dosage for another two weeks.

Is this normal?

Mind

by Mind on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Medication making me unwell

Pregabalin has a lot of possible side effects, and they include 'depersonalisation', or feeling out of touch with yourself, and feeling distant from your surroundings. (These are listed as uncommon - affecting 1-10 people in 1,000 - but it's quite possible for you to be one of those people.) It also can have effects on your vision. If you have the Patient Information Leaflet that should have come with the medication, you could check the side effects. (If you haven't got it any more, you can find it on medicines.org.uk - type in the name of the drug and it will find you the PIL (and the SPC which is a technical document about the drug)).

If you are finding these side effects very difficult to cope with, or are concerned about your sight, you can make your own decision about whether to continue with them - and tell your doctor what you have decided. If you would like another opinion you could go and talk to your pharmacist as well - pharmacists are drug experts, and should be happy to discuss your medication with you.

best wishes
Mind Info Team

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Medication making me unwell

We always have to balance the good with the bad, and your medication is supposed to make you feel better, not worse. Anyone who is taking medication where the side effects make it feel like it's not worth taking the medication for, should go back and discuss with their doctor. I don't suggest you stop the medication suddenly without discussing with your doctor. Ask for a telephone consultation if there are no appointments available. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

3 posts