I feel like a social outcast

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
MikaMIka

by MikaMIka on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:58 am

I feel like a social outcast

I have eczema on my eyelids, my full neck, around my lips, behind my ears, and the inside part of the both of my elbows.
Two weeks ago, the eczema on my eyelids, my neck, and my lips all flared up; badly. No matter how much lotion I had put on helped it at all, so I turned to steroids, which in turn, dripped into my eyes from my eyelids, causing irritation and making my eyes even itchier than before.
Everyone at my high school seemed to treat me differently, as I usually put on light makeup. People seemed to stare longer, and, to my annoyance, friends would ask me if I was tired, sad, sick. I know they're just trying to be nice, but after hearing it the fiftieth time, it's like, yes, I know I look horrible.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:35 am

Re: I feel like a social outcast

Sorry to hear of the eczema, esp the cream irritating the eye. Yes, have to be very careful when applying cream onto eyelid, excerpt from interview with dermatologist on eyelid eczema, hope it'd be of some help. Join a support group for eczema teens? Many undergo similar experiences.. can support each other.

consult a doctor if you have rashes around the eyelid. It is important to determine what is causing the rash. Common causes include eczema and contact dermatitis secondary to eye make-up. In general, mild to mid potency steroids can be applied to the face. It should be applied twice a day and for not longer than 1-2 weeks. A mid potency steroid can be used initially then tailing down to a low potency steroid once the rash is better. Alternatively, a steroid-spring cream such as Tacrolimus or Pimicrolimus can used . In a minority of patients,Tacrolimus can cause a stinging sensation. At night, apply the cream just before you go to sleep. To prevent the steroid from dripping into the eyes, you can use a cream or ointment based steroid rather than a lotion based one which is more ‘watery’. Allow 20-30 minutes after application of the cream to the eyelids before doing activities that may cause sweating.

2. Clean the eyelid area, with lukewarm water, including cleaning the ‘mascara’ area of the eyelid. Avoid using water that is too hot. Use a gentle soap and do not rub this area excessively. Avoid using products with ingredients you’re allergic to. A patch test can be taken at the dermatologist, and ingredients that you’re tested sensitive to should be avoided for your face and eyelids as well.

3. Moisturize the eyelid, taking care again to use products that you are not allergic or sensitive to. If you feel that the moisturizing lotion you are using is too “watery“ and runs into your eyes, you can change the moisturizer to a cream or ointment form which is thicker.

4. For those who are using makeup, it is important to wash your brushes and change them regularly. Do not use make-up past their expiry dates as bacteria will accumulate in make-up which can irritate and infect your skin. Avoid mascara and choose products from large cosmetics and skincare companies that clinically test their products. Also avoid products that are shimmery or glitters as these contain metal particles, mica, which can irritate the skin.

A final note is to avoid rubbing the eyes, as this can lead to neurodermatitis, a thickening (lichenification) of the eyelids due to prolonged scratching. The appearance of the eyelids will be darker and in some instance, lead to skin folds on the eyelid.
http://eczemablues.com/2012/10/facial-e ... e-eyelids/

An omega-3 supplement may be recommended to patients with blepharitis as small-scale study suggested anti-inflammatory effect of omega 3 benefit blepharitis patients.
http://eczemablues.com/2014/08/eczema-c ... nd-eyelid/

take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

ItchyGal

by ItchyGal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:02 am

Hey Mika,

I know how you feel darling. When you feel more eyes on you and you know the reason.

When my skin was bad I would get stopped by people in shops or questioned about it by sales staff, with their shocked looks even asking if I had psoriasis! I did work in retail for a while as well and literally every second person or more would ask me what was wrong with me. Some asking if I had been burnt or been in an accident. It's totally horrible. You want to scream at them to leave you alone but you know they are only asking out of sympathy. Though when you leave the house all you want to be is invisible, but it turns out to be the opposite.

I seriously wanted to get a t-shirt that read 'free sucker punch to the next person who asks about my skin!'

Being in school with this condition is so dam hard emotionally. The vicious cycle is ironic. Stress makes eczema worse, you feel stressed because you have the eczema, repeat. I bet you cant wait till school is over... I know I couldn't.

Steroids unfortunately didn't work for me, I mean, they seemed to make my skin worse over time and of course thinned my skin so much that i have serious premature wrinkling now. Doing a MAJOR overhaul on my diet was the only thing which helped but it takes time for this natural approach to fix things. I am still battling but not nearly as much as before. Now I can wear singlets with little regard for how I look. None of the angry weepy red stuff anymore, just sometimes pink blotchy and flaky stuff but thats only if I have eaten the wrong foods.

I don't know if this is going to help at all Mika, but my experience from being in high school was that the people who weren't in the popular or good looking groups always seemed to really blossom and shine brighter after school was over. Without the social status holding them back, they became amazing people afterwards in all aspect. I hope you can get through this sh*tty time now and find some relief from your skin soon xx

clarkeanna

by clarkeanna on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:24 pm

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!
I have eczema in exactly the same places as you and have been able to manage it the following way:
1. I use a gentle face wash, it's natural and contains goats milk.
2. After I wash my face I use a rose water toner.
3. THE IMPORTANT BIT: after wash and tone I use two creams: 'Toleriane Ultra' by La Roche Posay
And 'ultra comfortable face cream, night version' by Nuxe. I combine both on my whole face and neck, focusing the Toleriane Ultra on my eyes. And focusing the Nuxe face cream on my neck and mouth area. It is still important to ensure all areas get both creams.
4. I use a facial scrub twice a week to remove the flakey skin.
5. On my arms I use 'dermexa' by Aveeno
I really encourage you to try this out. I was put on steroids also and I found they made me worse! This is how I have dealt with my eczema for about two years and it has become so much more manageable and looks so much better. I hope this works for you <3 <3

hanaka06

by hanaka06 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:01 pm

I think the most annoying part is when they say "just stop scratching then" and I'm like "Oh thank God! You've cured it- my eczemas gone and my skin is smooth! Why didn't I think of this sooner"

Some people are just dense and thick about eczema so I try not to take it too personally. Hope your eczema clears soon. I get eczema occasionally on my face but have it constantly on the rest of my body so stay strong! The eczema on my face is usually cured by moisturising daily and I've heard coconut oil is good for that as a natural alternative. If that doesn't work for you I hope you find your cure soon! Wishing you the best of luck <3

5 posts