Relationships and dealing with eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
hedgehog44

by hedgehog44 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Relationships and dealing with eczema

Hi, I’m new here
I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on meeting new people/forming romantic relationships with those who have eczema?
I have close friends that know that I have eczema and they understand but it’s nothinh more than “stop scratching you’ll make it worse”, as if I don’t know already. I take medication to control my itching but I feel that because I’m not bleeding and scratching all over the place, people won’t take me seriously when I say it has a strong emotional affect on me. I’ve been called everything under the sun, people think that we’re contagious or that’s I’m diseased or disgusting, and even though I am ok with showing my arms with eczema when it’s quite dormant, the eczema on my neck turns white and very dry, whereas I get psoriasis (i think) on the sides of my waist which are just dark black patches as big as my hand (I’m a black girl). As I’m going to uni and I understand the whole culture of dating and sleeping around I’m really scared to even talk a boy I find attractive and get intimate. I itch all the time, it’s spread to my face (around my lips and on my cheeks and my jawline), so it’s harder to hide and I just feel lost. I’d like to “let loose” and integrate but I have so much anxiety with people judging me, I’ve gone theough it at school and I cabt deal with going through it again

Any advice/tips? I’m 17 just to mention. Do you find guys are more judgemental when it comes to skin conditions or do they really not care? Thanks

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Relationships and dealing with eczema

Hello,

Thank you so much for posting your question. Skin conditions can have a tremendous impact on your self-confidence, and the emotional impact of skin conditions can affect anyone and everyone, so don't feel alone!

Coping with people's reactions can be difficult when living with eczema, especially in a situation where you're meeting new faces everyday, as many people that don't have a skin condition can have a limited understanding.

If you are feeling anxious or nervous about your skin, make an appointment with your GP or Dermatologist. They may be able to prescribe a more effective treatment. Get in contact with the charity Changing Faces - they can provide you with some helpful tips to cope with people's reactions to your eczema!

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/Ch ... _faces.php

Best of luck at university!

talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts