Can anyone comprehend...?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
hellobrezzyx3

by hellobrezzyx3 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Can anyone comprehend...?

I am a 20 year old hispanic female. I've had eczema since I was about 10. My flare ups have improved over the years, but it doesn't make them feel any less painful. When I have flare ups, I can't go anywhere. My eczema is on my face. Unfortunately, people stare. I've had people ask me, "what's wrong with your face?"... Uh, ouch... When I first discovered I had eczema, I did ALOT of research. Yes, at 10 years old, I was researching this because I wanted to be rid of it. Lucky for me, ive always had the internet!

When I got flare ups in the past, I'd apply my steroids & call it a day. But even as a kid, my eczema prevented me from doing simple things, playing outside, swimming (the chlorine irritated my skin), I even have to pay attention to what I eat. Temperature plays a role for me too, I've always been sensitive to temperature tho.

In once had a flare up so bad, my face got swollen and my mom rushed me to the emergency room. It hurt so much to even blink. I cried and the acid in my tears made it hurt worse.

I could sit here forever telling you all my story, but you are the ones who understand. I could tell you my triggers and my home remedies, but you know them all. You know that feeling you get when you know a flare up is making an appearance. Not this again... I've been fighting tears all week. It hurts. And I'm angry I have to deal with it. I'm mad that nobody in my house understands how embarrassed I am to have this on my face. I feel like a hermit. I can't go anywhere. I can't do anything because all I'm thinking about is the itch. I just would like it if I could sleep until the flare up decides my face has had enough. I've even gotten into fights with my mom over this. She doesn't understand how emotionally & physically painful this is. She thinks I'm being dramatic when I cry over it or that I stay locked in the house. My family is not particularly affectionate, at this point, I just really need a hug.

A virtual one will suffice. ;)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 am

Re: Can anyone comprehend...?

Hugs! While I don't have eczema myself, I have a daughter who is a preschooler at the moment and she already have scars from scratching or from alternative bad habits like finger biting - we worry for her all the time. Hope you do find out what's trigger your eczema flare-ups, so that it can be better controlled. Maybe look into using chlorhexidine-based wash as eczema skin colonized with the bacteria.

Many adults have shared how difficult it is to go through eczema on my blog 'Someone has Eczema and..', hope you'd find some sharing that encourage you.

Hugs!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts