Sexual Activity

If you have questions relating to Prostatitis please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Rob

by Rob on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Sexual Activity

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, Gleason 3+4, in March 2011. I suffered septicemia following the biopsy and as a result of that, prostatitis. I am on active surveillance and see my Oncologist every 3-4 months. I have refused another biopsy because I am petrified of another dose of septicemia so I have an MRI scan once a year and a DRE every second appointment. The last MRI showed no change to the size of the lesion on my prostate which apparently was small to begin with and my prostate, although enlarged, is "flat and smooth".

I wanted to know if it does any harm to engage in sexual activity?

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Re: Sexual Activity

Hi there, it sounds like you had an awful time. Thankfully this is extremely rare, but awful when it happens. I am sad that it has put you off future tests, please do make sure you discuss the risks fully each time you consider any tests.

As for sexual activity - absolutely fine to go ahead :-)

Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Sexual Activity

Sepsis after trans rectal biopsy is around 2-3% so quite rare but we see several cases each year.
Sepsis after trans-perineal biopsy is much less at around 0.1% so that would be the best way of having another biopsy if you needed one.
It is also better way of sampling all parts of the prostate.
Where i work at Guy's we never ask a man to have a second trans rectal biopsy and only do trans perineal biopsies for those on active surveillance
If your PSA is stable and the MRI is unchanged then there is a case for holding fast at present.
Sexual activity won't harm and may in fact reduce inflammation in the prostate

Ben
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

3 posts