What are the chances of getting cancer again?

If you have questions relating to prostate disease and cancer treatments please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JudyJJ

by JudyJJ on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 am

What are the chances of getting cancer again?

My husband had prostate cancer a few years and we were so relieved to be given the all clear a while back, but since then my husband doesn’t like talking about it. However what are the chances of him getting either the cancer back again or another form of cancer? I am so worried about this but can’t talk to him at all. Please advise. Thank you

Dr Helen Webberley

by Dr Helen Webberley on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Re: What are the chances of getting cancer again?

Hi there, cancer can be such a scary thing and some people just like to hide their head and push it away.

We never know who may get a recurrence of their cancer or who may get a new one all together, but it is hard when you want to talk and he doesn't.

My philosophy is to live all of your life now and keep happy and healthy. If he was ever to notice anything new then report it to your GP as soon as possible.

For many people cancer is either cured or held at bay for years and years, and many people die of old age before their cancer was ever due to come back! Modern medicine is marvellous and with the PSA test monitoring prostate cancer very well, it is easy to keep an eye on it.

It is a scary time, but I hope this helps. Dr Webberley
Dr Helen Webberley
NHS GP and Director of www.MyWebDoctor.co.uk
MBChB MRCGP MFSRH DipGUM DipIPM
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... berley.php

2 posts