Is this ocular rosacea?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy, CherrySencha, TalontedLex, JulieBC*

3 posts
Frances489

by Frances489 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Is this ocular rosacea?

I've had rosacea for some years - pustules and flushing - and am using Skinoren at the moment, although Finacea seemed to suit me better and I'm thinking of asking for the cream to be changed. However, I'm now having problems with my eyes. One eye in particular is often itchy, gritty, uncomfortable and a little red. In the morning I sometimes find I can't open my eyes properly, particularly the right one, as my lids are stuck together.

Has anyone else had this complication with rosacea - if that's what it is - and is it worth seeing my GP?

jbutcher

by jbutcher on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Re: Is this ocular rosacea?

Hi

I have had the same problem and my GP has referred me to our local eye hospital to see if it is ocular rosacea - I have had facial rosacea since my late 20s and am now nearly 60! I have been given some lubrication drops to use 6 times a day together with some allergy drops to use twice a day. I think they may be hedging their bets! I have to go back in the middle of October for a hospital follow-up appointment to see how I am doing. I would definitely recommend going to see your GP about your eyes. I have read that ocular rosacea can affect the cornea of the eye which is not good. Get it checked out just to be on the safe side.

Frances489

by Frances489 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Re: Is this ocular rosacea?

Thank you for your reply. Well, I saw my GP, who sent me to the optician to check my eyes. The optician did a dry eye test and I scored extremely low - Tear Break Up Time of 3 seconds and I believe the normal reading is 10 seconds. Went back to the GP who prescribed eye ointment for night time and drops for the day. I discussed my concern about ocular rosacea with him and he looked at my face. However, as he couldn't see any evidence of active rosacea at the moment - my rosacea is quite mild and only flares up occasionally - he said he didn't think it was ocular rosacea. So, I've started using the drops and will see how I go. If things don't improve I will definitely go back.

I hope that things improve for you and that your appointment in October goes well. Thanks again.

3 posts