Any advice for a flare on the back of neck in particular?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

1 post
erkmorris

by erkmorris on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Any advice for a flare on the back of neck in particular?

Hey, I'm a 23 year old man who struggles off and on with eczema. I had it really bad as a kid but it cleared up for the most part during high school.

For the past couple years my eczema has been coming back due I think to some poor health decisions (drinking &smoking, too much caffeine, not treating allergies as well as I should). I've mostly got my symptoms back under control just through moisturizers and taking better care of myself, with occasional steroid use (mainly hydrocortisone, though I also have a prescription for Elocon generic).

However, I've still got a terrible flare up on the back of my neck that seems not to respond well to anything. I've tried steroids, moisturizers, different detergent, wearing no collared shirts, wearing more collared shirts, showering more, showering less. Nothing seems to work.

I know the back of the neck is a common problem spot, and it was always a bad spot for me personally, but it's been around 6 weeks since it's really been clear. Although it's not the most itchy/painful or socially embarrassing spot, I'd still love to have it under better control.

What makes this spot in particular so hard to treat? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any tips on treating the back of the neck specifically?